Tater Tots v Onion Rings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Your Death Row Final Meal Side Dish, You get to pick one

• Total voters
I will go off-board and choose other, specifically Hush Puppies. If I was limited to only the other two choices if would be onion rings every time, especially the ones without a heavy batter.

This forum is a HORRIBLE influence!
image.jpg

I enjoy a good mayonnaise in an appropriate setting, but I don't think I've ever been anywhere where mayo was an intrinsic part of a burger. Is this something akin to "white vs red" barbecue? :D

Cheers!

No, not the same - mayo on burger is not "de rigueur" in any foodie culture I'm aware of.
Indeed there are lots of people who are completely turned off by mayo - the notion of eating uncooked egg is ag'in their sensibilities...

Cheers!

No, not the same - mayo on burger is not "de rigueur" in any foodie culture I'm aware of.
Indeed there are lots of people who are completely turned off by mayo - the notion of eating uncooked egg is ag'in their sensibilities...

Cheers!

i so need to get a camera and take a pic of a medium rare burger, with mayo and pepper! your post just confirms it! :mug: no cheese, no nothing else....

edit: well maybe a strip of bacon though....

I wandered into the Beer and Burgers thread and noticed a number of post with tater tots and not one with onion rings. 90% of the time I have onion rings it's with a burger, on the side or right in the burger.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/burger-beer-thread.704273/

Well here ya go. It's an older picture.

Homemade onion rings aren't in the rotation for us nearly as often as tots, because it's a HELL of a lot more work to deep fry our own onion rings than to toss a tray of Ore-Ida tots in the oven.

Recipe: Onion Strings

PXL_20211227_032740902.jpg

Cheers!
only one place I use 'mayo' in a recognizable form - tartar sauce

1671395502124.png

outside of that, there is NO place for mayo in the world of tots, rings, or burgers IMNHAAO

Mayo is an important part of devilled eggs and chicken salad. (and I use a lot of it for those) Other than that, I have little use for it and prefer Miracle Whip. I keep both on hand, and they are not interchangeable.

Mayo is an important part of devilled eggs and chicken salad. (and I use a lot of it for those) Other than that, I have little use for it and prefer Miracle Whip. I keep both on hand, and they are not interchangeable.
^^ “All the cunning of the devil is exercised in trying to tear us away from the word. And the word, is Hellmans” Martin Luther (not King).

Anyone got a good onion ring recipe? Gonna do that with burgers on Jan 2.
I forget where I got this from, the double dip results in more batter sticking to the rings. Personally I like my rings cut 3/4" 1/2" will probably fit better in the bun.

Crispy Onion Rings Recipe

Servings:
6 as an appetizer, or enough for 8-12 burgers

Ingredients

Onion Rings Ingredients:

• 1 large sweet or yellow onion, thickly sliced into 1/2-inch thick rings
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 Tbsp white vinegar
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 Tbsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • Oil for frying, I used canola oil - use something with a high smoke point

Instructions

How to Make the best onion rings:

1. Heat a dutch oven over medium heat with 1" of oil (or enough to cover the onion rings). You can use a deep fryer if you have one.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 cup milk with 1 Tbsp vinegar and let sit 5 minutes. Whisk in 1/2 cup sour cream.
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk together: 1 cup flour, 1/2 Tbsp salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper, and 1 tsp garlic powder.
  4. Separate the onion rings and dip each ring in the milk mixture, then dredge with flour. (I used a fork to transfer from the wet bowl to the dry bowl so my hands didn't get as gunky). Repeat by dipping in milk mixture a second time and dredging again in flour. Place the finished onion rings on a plate until ready to fry.
  5. Once the oil is at 375˚F on a thermometer, or hot enough for the onion rings to sizzle, place 3-4 double battered onion rings in a single layer in the hot oil and cook for about 3 minutes, flipping halfway and fry until exterior is crisp and light golden brown. Let onion rings cool on paper towels so soak up any excess oil.

Tater Tots are a joke. My dad’s family is Irish, and we ate potatoes cooked 999 different ways, but no one ever made a damn tater tot. Onion rings cost extra, so I don’t get those. I”m completely fine with good ole french fries, and a side of mustard. Sweet potato fries also delicious.

Sonic is great, that is all.

I forget where I got this from, the double dip results in more batter sticking to the rings. Personally I like my rings cut 3/4" 1/2" will probably fit better in the bun.

Crispy Onion Rings Recipe

Servings:
6 as an appetizer, or enough for 8-12 burgers

Ingredients

Onion Rings Ingredients:

• 1 large sweet or yellow onion, thickly sliced into 1/2-inch thick rings
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 Tbsp white vinegar
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 Tbsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • Oil for frying, I used canola oil - use something with a high smoke point

Instructions

How to Make the best onion rings:

1. Heat a dutch oven over medium heat with 1" of oil (or enough to cover the onion rings). You can use a deep fryer if you have one.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 cup milk with 1 Tbsp vinegar and let sit 5 minutes. Whisk in 1/2 cup sour cream.
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk together: 1 cup flour, 1/2 Tbsp salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper, and 1 tsp garlic powder.
  4. Separate the onion rings and dip each ring in the milk mixture, then dredge with flour. (I used a fork to transfer from the wet bowl to the dry bowl so my hands didn't get as gunky). Repeat by dipping in milk mixture a second time and dredging again in flour. Place the finished onion rings on a plate until ready to fry.
  5. Once the oil is at 375˚F on a thermometer, or hot enough for the onion rings to sizzle, place 3-4 double battered onion rings in a single layer in the hot oil and cook for about 3 minutes, flipping halfway and fry until exterior is crisp and light golden brown. Let onion rings cool on paper towels so soak up any excess oil.

Thanks. We've got some work to do on execution but it's a solid recipe for a jumping off point.

PXL_20230103_035543918.jpg

This thread needs some diplomacy. It's not hostile but I'm here, so my little opinion is being displayed. Feel free to ignore entirely.

Onions rings, properly prepared.
Jalapeño poppers, also properly prepared.
Tater tots, prepared properly (if you don't catch the theme here, maybe you should call an adult before turning on a stove)
Chop those together with some bacon bits and you're going to have yourself a real good time.

Back