Tasted first bottled brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irishguy42

Reaction score
So, my first brew has been sitting in conditioning for ~9 days, so I decided to throw a bottle in the fridge yesterday to try it out today.

And here it is!

This was a cream ale kit that I had a few mistakes on originally. It doesn't taste too cream-aleish, but it has hints of it. But it does taste decent and like beer.

I'm going to let it sit for another week or two and see what happens. I will also purchase a six pack or two of cream ale to kind of compare.

All in all, I learned a lot and I'm excited for my next brew! Next time, I really need to mix the whole thing in the fermenter when I add top-off water to my partial-boil wort...that was my biggest problem, I think...

The kits xOG was 1.051 and xFG was 1.012. I came in at 1.033 and 1.002 respectively. I had fermented it for ~10 days, and then around ~9 days in conditioning so far. I plan to let it sit for another week or two and we'll see what happens from there!

Thoughts?

Congrats!! Yeah, you want to make sure your wort/top off water, is mixed well before pulling a sample for testing. The 1.002 seems pretty low too....did you correct for the temp? No matter really. You made Beer!!! You definitely will notice a big difference from day 9 and day 21.

Congrats!! Yeah, you want to make sure your wort/top off water, is mixed well before pulling a sample for testing. The 1.002 seems pretty low too....did you correct for the temp? No matter really. You made Beer!!! You definitely will notice a big difference from day 9 and day 21.

Yeah, I had corrected for temp. Not entirely sure how to explain it. I originally re-pitched my yeast after ~4 days of no activity/change in gravity after my original pitch, but I don't think that was it.

It tastes good and looks good. So I'm not sweating it too much.

But yes, I will pay attention on my next brew to mix better. Give it a good shake in the primary before pitching the yeast.

If you added the correct amount of water, your OG was 1.051 or really close. Very common to not get extract wort mixed well with the top off water. And the 1.002 seems way too low, perhaps your hydrometer is off? Did you check it in distilled water?

If you added the correct amount of water, your OG was 1.051 or really close. Very common to not get extract wort mixed well with the top off water. And the 1.002 seems way too low, perhaps your hydrometer is off? Did you check it in distilled water?

Yes. It reads 1.000 in distilled water @ 60F

Back