Tapcooler counter pressure bottle filler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I still think this is the best counter pressure bottle filler with CO2 purge. Today, I was making up a variety 6 pack for a friend. Two of the beers were bottle conditioned but the rest came from kegs. Using a bottle sanitizer like this https://www.amazon.com/Sulfiter-Mid...ocphy=9026821&hvtargid=pla-523182274729&psc=1 I can quickly sanitize 4 bottles, caps and the TapCooler. I use SaniClean since it does not foam as much as Starsan. Once the Tapcooler is sanitized I just flush it with the next beer before filing the bottle so today I bottled a Czech Lager, Vienna Lager, Scottish Export and finally a Session IPA. Figure bottling in that order I should not add any unwanted flavors or aromas to another beer. When I'm done, I rinse everything and then use a little PBW to clean everything in the bowl of the bottle rinser. For awhile now, I've been completely taking apart the telescoping tubing to make sure everything is clean rinsed and dry. So far I have not had any problems doing this.

I've used this for more than a year...hundreds of bottles filled. The only problem I've run into is the telescoping tubing. At some point one of the small plastic sleeves came off. It ended up in a beer somewhere, never found it. Ordered another tubing assembly and it worked well for awhile. But after a few uses, the friction fit between the telescoping part and the head unit would not stay assembled. I e-mailed the makers for any suggestions and Tor e-mailed back quickly. He had no answer except for "request a new one where I got the filler". I wasn't sure if he meant to buy another one or request a warranty replacement. I just bought another one.

If anyone has a suggestion, I'm all ears. I would think that a better connection, such as screw in/out would be better. But that's a manufacturing detail...Other than that, I've been very happy with it. Cheers!

Does anyone else experience crystal clear beers turning hazy after a few days of using this filler? They don’t taste oxidized or look brown or anything, they just get hazy. Is that normal? Maybe it is oxidized and I’m just not purging the bottle enough? No idea.

Does anyone else experience crystal clear beers turning hazy after a few days of using this filler? They don’t taste oxidized or look brown or anything, they just get hazy. Is that normal? Maybe it is oxidized and I’m just not purging the bottle enough? No idea.

Like they were clear when cold in the keg and then go hazy in the bottle? did you keep the bottles cold in those few days or were they kept warm?

So far i have only filled dark beers and haven't noticed it, but i have a lighter colored, though still reddish, english-inspired ale, that i could test.

Just looked for what i should replicate.

I've used this for more than a year...hundreds of bottles filled. The only problem I've run into is the telescoping tubing. At some point one of the small plastic sleeves came off. It ended up in a beer somewhere, never found it. Ordered another tubing assembly and it worked well for awhile. But after a few uses, the friction fit between the telescoping part and the head unit would not stay assembled. I e-mailed the makers for any suggestions and Tor e-mailed back quickly. He had no answer except for "request a new one where I got the filler". I wasn't sure if he meant to buy another one or request a warranty replacement. I just bought another one.

If anyone has a suggestion, I'm all ears. I would think that a better connection, such as screw in/out would be better. But that's a manufacturing detail...Other than that, I've been very happy with it. Cheers!
I had that happen only once. With my new tube no problems since then.
I make sure that I do not expose to starsan for any length of time (<2 minutes) since the starsan may affect the life of the sleeves. There is no indication on recommended chemicals or chemicals to avoid with the Tapcooler. For now I stick with warm water rinse and a brief dip in starsan.

I have not experienced that with my Tapcooler. My lagers and ciders are crystal clear. I do purge mine for several seconds with CO2 before filling and cap immediately after filling.

Like they were clear when cold in the keg and then go hazy in the bottle? did you keep the bottles cold in those few days or were they kept warm?

yep they were crystal clear in the keg, then I bottled and kept in the fridge (no warmth at all) and then tried it a few days later and it was so hazy you couldn’t really see through it anymore. But it still tasted the same. I know oxidation can take a while so I wasn’t sure what I was experiencing. I’ll try filling a few more bottles with another clear beer and report back before and after pictures. I’ll try purging the bottle longer just in case.

The “white rubber” piece you reference goes down. The tubes fit inside each other.

Start with the largest tube. From the bottom, insert the middle tube, bottom up with the white rubber piece on the bottom of the smaller tube.

Next insert the smallest diameter tube, from the bottom, installing it inside the middle diameter tube, again with the white rubber part down.

Extend them up, telescoping. The white rubber part holds each tube inside the other tubes.

my “white rubber piece” snapped in half. Anyone know how to replace this? I bought a full wand replacement ($8.99 at GF), but just wondering if there’s a cheaper alternative in the future.

Back