Tapcooler counter pressure bottle filler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highland_brewer

Short Circuited Brewers
Reaction score
This device is not new. It has actually been in Norway for quite a while now. A LHBS is now importing and selling them in the US. I had a chance to use it over the holidays to give out some "sample" packs of my beer to friends. I really like the simplicity of it and how easy it is to use.

I did a video on it and some of the accessories for it.

This device is not new. It has actually been in Norway for quite a while now. A LHBS is now importing and selling them in the US. I had a chance to use it over the holidays to give out some "sample" packs of my beer to friends. I really like the simplicity of it and how easy it is to use.

Love your videos! Thanks for sharing this.

This looks awesome! I just bought one after watching this video.

I pulled the below video up from the manufacturers website. Looks like you can purge with CO2 while the stopper is still attached. Just need to open up the PRV slightly.

For those of us who are OCD about O2 exposure its something to consider. This would also purge some of the O2 that is in the line and faucet before opening the tap.

I'll report back after I use it.

Love your videos! Thanks for sharing this.

This looks awesome! I just bought one after watching this video.

I pulled the below video up from the manufacturers website. Looks like you can purge with CO2 while the stopper is still attached. Just need to open up the PRV slightly.

For those of us who are OCD about O2 exposure its something to consider. This would also purge some of the O2 that is in the line and faucet before opening the tap.

I'll report back after I use it.

Not sure if you have seen this thread where I’ve detailed my experience with the Tapcooler.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/bottling-from-the-tap.669365/

I love it. Will probably never use my Last Straw (next to the last straw) bottle filler.

regarding your ocd. What I do is do about a 4 one thousand count of CO2 with the bottle not pushed up against the stopper. I then push the bottle up against the stopper continuing to apply CO2 until it bubbles out of the pressure release. This will purge a lot of O2 out of the bottle but it also builds pressure in the bottle so when you start filling with beer it minimizes foaming.

When using I frequently have beer foam come out of the pressure release but I don’t worry about this since I figure this is the same as capping on foam.

I have a last straw that I've used only once. This looks a lot simpler in terms of setup, cleaning and sanitizing. I may have to get one and sell the last straw.

I have one of these, and while it's expensive, it worked perfectly from the first time. You get a bit of foaming as you remove the filler from the bottle, but it does mean you cap on foam and it's not excessive.

I currently use it with an extension to a liquid disconnect to fill straight from the keg rather than sticking it into a tap, and it also means I can clean it using a carb cap on a bottle.

The one thing I don't like is that I wish it were easier to disconnect from the gas. I think I'm going to have to buy the ball lock adapter to deal with that issue.

I used mine for the first time today. Went just ok.
I MUST be missing something but when I opened the prv while filling it did nothing.
There was still pressure in the bottle because when I backed the bottle off a tiny bit I could hear co2 escape
Turning the prv open however did nothing. The beer would not fill anymore no matter open the prv was.
I ended up filling the 2 bottles by manually moving the bottle a tiny bit at a time to allow some c02 to escape and slowly filled the bottles. I then hit the button to purge the headspace and capped.
Any idea what I did wrong?
Looking forward to a trouble free fill next time.
Thanks

I sometimes find that the prv seal sticks a bit. Once it’s popped once for a filling session it’s fine.

Unscrew the prv entirely and take the poppet out. Perhaps give it a little silicone grease on the poppet seal to stop it drying out.

It should work after that.

Two things: First, you have to open almost all the way. Second, it can get beer in it so needs a proper clean after use.

Mine had two springs spiraled together so it was very rigid. Check that.

As others have said you have to have the prv screw almost all the way out. I purge the bottle for a few seconds with the bottle not sealed against the silicone stopper. Then I push the bottle against the stopper and adjust the prv until CO2 escapes and then start me fill.

Also what pressure are you filling at. If it is too low that may be the problem.

As others have said you have to have the prv screw almost all the way out. I purge the bottle for a few seconds with the bottle not sealed against the silicone stopper. Then I push the bottle against the stopper and adjust the prv until CO2 escapes and then start me fill.

Also what pressure are you filling at. If it is too low that may be the problem.
Pressure for the tapcooler is set at the recommended 7psi and my keg serving pressure is 12psi
I'll try messing with the prv tomorrow.
Short circuited did the fill with a slightly different method than I'm reading described here.
Thanks all

I adjust the PRV only once initially and prior to filling I seal the bottle against the stopper push down the CO2 button until it escapes from the PRV. This will free up the sticking PRV and purge the bottle. Since I have flow adjustments on my Perlick faucets I do my flow adjustments with that to control the filling/foaming for a proper fill. I rinse it out well afterwards and give it a soak with starsan before and after each use.

I bought this a couple of weeks ago and wanted to fill up a growler today, only to realise that the silicone is only made for bottles and I'm not able to fully seal off a 32mm bottle opening.. has anybody faced this issue, is there any solution?
Only thing that I am thinking is a rubber part with a cone that I can push into the growler that will reduce the diameter for the tapcooler silicone... although I am not the biggest fan of that idea I can let it machinein a local toolshop..

I use the tap cooler for bottles, but for growlers I use a DIY setup similar to this video.

this DIY counter pressure setup works really well for bottles or growlers. You can put it together with parts you probably already have lying around

Just buy a #10 stopper that will fit a growler and otherwise replicate the setup in the video. Periodically burp the stopper to releive pressure as you fill.

If you want to purge the growler with CO2 just run an extra gas line and purge the growler with the second line before you fill

pretty nice solution. I think I still will machine a part, but if anything fails I will put a growler tube through a bung, thanks

So the steel expanding bottling wand of the TapCooler came off mine...it's 3 separate pieces and for the life of me, I cannot figure the proper way to put it back together. I know the smallest one goes in first, as it's only one that fits into the hole in the top. That piece and one other have white rubber piece that I assume is suppose to hold it from falling off, and the larger piece is just a plain piece of stainless tubing....so my assumption is small, larger, second smallest...but it still is loose and fell off when trying to fill a bottle last night. Anyone know how they are suppose to go?

The “white rubber” piece you reference goes down. The tubes fit inside each other.

Start with the largest tube. From the bottom, insert the middle tube, bottom up with the white rubber piece on the bottom of the smaller tube.

Next insert the smallest diameter tube, from the bottom, installing it inside the middle diameter tube, again with the white rubber part down.

Extend them up, telescoping. The white rubber part holds each tube inside the other tubes.

0B10A0EE-10E3-45BD-9859-2AD688009DD8.jpeg

The “white rubber” piece you reference goes down. The tubes fit inside each other.

Start with the largest tube. From the bottom, insert the middle tube, bottom up with the white rubber piece on the bottom of the smaller tube.

Next insert the smallest diameter tube, from the bottom, installing it inside the middle diameter tube, again with the white rubber part down.

Extend them up, telescoping. The white rubber part holds each tube inside the other tubes.

Thank you!

Just purchase one of these from Great Fermentations.

The other day I went to keg my english mild and was going to bottle a 6 pack for the NHC first and keg the rest. Filled my bottles and my plastic capper broke. Now I'll need to bottle my entries from the keg. It's going to be a few weeks before they get opened so I wanted a good way to purge out the bottle and easily fill it. That incident led me to this (and a metal bench capper). Looking forward to giving it a try.

How would you rate this versus the Boel iTap? I know you reviewed both.

I have this and it's a neat lil setup. Hasn't worked right for me yet tho. I can get it to purge a bottle with co2 and seal. When I go to fill with beer it won't bleed off pressure which left me sorta manually momentarily breaking the seal to bleed off pressure.
I think there may be something wrong with my unit. Haven't used it since summer. (Mainly because I haven't figured out why it's not working correctly)
Anybody else have this issue??

The pressure relief valve tends to stick, especially if you let beer foam out of it. Before use it is good practice to unscrew the pressure relief valve and rinse it off and spray with starsan.

I also have to unscrew my PRV 90% of the way for it to even start bleeding pressure. But it allows a nice rhythm to seal one on the canner while another is slowly filling.

I have this and it's a neat lil setup. Hasn't worked right for me yet tho. I can get it to purge a bottle with co2 and seal. When I go to fill with beer it won't bleed off pressure which left me sorta manually momentarily breaking the seal to bleed off pressure.
I think there may be something wrong with my unit. Haven't used it since summer. (Mainly because I haven't figured out why it's not working correctly)
Anybody else have this issue??

The first time using it I just dunked the whole unit in star san and had the same problem.

Before my second use, I removed the threaded part entirely, there is a spring that will also fall out. There is one more tiny part in there that holds the oring and provides the seal. This was stuck in place. I dislodged it (totally okay btw, not breaking anything). sanitized, reassembled, and it worked perfectly second go around.

One little trick I figured out is to close your tap before you completely screw closed the PRV when you are done with a bottle. I forgot to do that once, and must have moved the bottle slightly, allowing it to disengage the top seal and burp beer all over my keezer. Also then the tap was still on and spilled out a bit. Probably a combination of problems there, but worth noting.

I love this thing.

I was using bier munchers bottle filler before and didnt think I had any complaints, but I loose way less beer with the tapcooler, don't need to fight with my gas pressures, warming kegs, AND I actually get to purge my bottles before filling

One little trick I figured out is to close your tap before you completely screw closed the PRV when you are done with a bottle. I forgot to do that once, and must have moved the bottle slightly, allowing it to disengage the top seal and burp beer all over my keezer. Also then the tap was still on and spilled out a bit. Probably a combination of problems there, but worth noting.

You don’t need to screw the PRV in after filling a bottle. Just close your tap, then count to 10 while the PRV bleeds off a little pressure, then you can release the bottle without it backfiring beer everywhere.

The PRV needs to be screwed in enough so the bottle fills without foam, but not too slow. I usually start with mine with only a couple of threads showing, pressurise the bottle with the gas button so the PRV is hissing, and then open the tap. I’ll unscrew the PRV if it’s filling slowly.

Alright what did I do wrong? I unboxed it, took it apart to sanitize it, and tried it out. I filled a few bottles without spilling a drop of beer. It can't be that easy. Lol. This thing is life changing so far!

Had a keg with a picnic tap. Figured I would try a small piece of silicone tubing to connect the TapCooler and it worked perfectly to fill a 6 pack. It was a little difficult to figure out how to rest the TapCooler somewhere between bottles to keep it sanitary but I managed to figure out a way to rest it in the next bottle to be filled.

29D8B8C3-1C6D-48E6-90B0-7A36F6D3CBED.jpeg
A63CA721-3555-4F21-8692-B3ACAB30D944.jpeg

It was a little difficult to figure out how to rest the TapCooler somewhere between bottles to keep it sanitary but I managed to figure out a way to rest it in the next bottle to be filled.

If you make starters on a stir plate then you should have an Erlenmeyer flask, which works as a perfect stand.

Back