Taking bets on whether or not I ruined it (it's probably fine?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barley_Bob

Reaction score
You're all thinking, "Hey Bobbo! We haven't heard from you in a while!"

Well, that' because I haven't done anything dumb in a while.

So, here's the deal - I have a batch that's been in primary for a week, and this weekend, I decided to brew another batch. But there was just one problem. I needed yeast slurry from the first batch to go into the second batch. So today, with Batch 2 chilled and ready to go, I set out to get yeast out from underneath Batch 1.

I thought it would be a breeze. I jammed my siphon tubing down into the bucket as far as it would go, gave it a suck start, and voila! I got a glass of beer. Undeterred, I grabbed my longest handled spoon, sanitized it, and dipped it into the beer to scoop out yeast. And ta-da! It was too short. So I sanitized my hand, reached my fingers in, and pulled out a few scoops of yeast. Over, done, snap the lids on, walk away.

So, here's the question - what do you think the odds are that I contaminated Batch 1 with my grubby fingers? I think it's probably fine? I'm interested to hear what others think, and then I'll come back and give the occasional update on my stupidity.

Update: It's totally fine. Actually, it's great. One of my best batches in a while. I fully endorse dry-handing a few days prior to bottling as an excellent practice to improve head retention and aroma.

Back