T. McLickin's Vienna

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffencourt

Reaction score
I'm attempting my first lager and put together this recipe. Any input would be great! Thanks in advance.

Grain:
8lbs Munich I(Weyermann)
2lbs Vienna Malt
4oz Carapils
3oz Carafa I
Hops:
1oz Tettnang (60mins)
.75oz Spalt (45mins)
1oz Hersbrucker (Dry hopped in secondary for 14 days)
Yeast:
Wyeast #2124 Bohemian Lager

Single infusion mash/ medium body @152deg/F for 60mins 13qt of water
Mash out @168deg/F for 10 mins 7.5qt of water

Fly sparge @168deg/F with 3.4 gallons

irish moss and yeast nutrient will be added as well.

I like Vienna malt for the basemalt in a Vienna lager. I don't use any other malts in it, but do a double decoction for it. I'd say you could keep some of the carapils for head retention, and possibly some melanoidin malt to simulate a decoction, but I wouldn't use other malts. I'd especially not use carafa, since it's so dark. Dryhopping is sort of odd, since Vienna lagers don't have much hops aroma at all, but if you like it that sounds good!

i'm drinking my vienna lager right now. it's 7.5# vienna malt, 1# corn, 1# homemade caramunich, and it's delightful. ditch the carapils, and go with vienna malt as the majority of the fermentables.

I added the carafa just to boost the color up to 12, i think without it i was below the style guidelines. And maybe im wrong about this, but isnt Sam Adam's Boston Lager a vienna? i know they dry hop. Maybe this is easily converted into a Oktoberfest?

I added the carafa just to boost the color up to 12, i think without it i was below the style guidelines. And maybe im wrong about this, but isnt Sam Adam's Boston Lager a vienna? i know they dry hop. Maybe this is easily converted into a Oktoberfest?

the vienna/caramunich combo will get your color just right. i don't know much about sam adam's as i don't really care for it.

4398-dsc00120.jpg

That does look tasty. And does have a great color. ill have to look into switching out the carafa for the caramunich

Back