Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARaces23

Reaction score
I haven't brewed anything new/solo in quite awhile. Used to brew with a neighbor, but he's off the sauce now. We brewed lots of IPAs/APAs, and never ventured too big.
Looking for an all grain stout recipe that will be 12% plus & thick. Something that will stand up to possible adjuncts.
Cheers!

If you want thick, then use a high percentage of your base grain as malted rye. Like 50 to 70 percent malted rye. You will get thick beer.

I agree with the Rye recommendation. I would also use Flaked Oats, Flaked Barley and Golden Naked Oats. But you can easily risk it becoming too " syrupy ", almost like warm honey, and at 12% it will become too much... Just my humble opinion.

But something like:

65% Pale 2-row
20% Rye
15% Combo of Roasted Barley, Chocolate Malt, Crystal 120L and some Flaked Oats / Flaked Barley.

This could/would get you a nice, thick, syrupy, heavy, flavourful and perhaps classic Stout.

Thanks for the tips. Been searching, but any specific recipes you’d recommend?

I like the following grain bill:

75% Golden Promise / 2-row
7.5% Flaked Oats
5% Roasted Barley
5% Chocolate Malt
5% Crystal 120L or 60-70L
2.5% Crystal 150/160/180L

You can simply swap 20% 2-row with Rye malt and you should have a nice one.

I wouldn't go above 7 to 8 % for the roasted grains for such a big beer. Seven percent is already equivalent to the amount of 14 % roasted grains for a beer with half the og of this big one. Easy to overdo roasted grains in big beers imo.

Longer boil will also help caramelize some of the sugars, rendering them less fermentable and adding body to it, though this will sweeten the beer itself.

Back