T-58 how fast is it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odie

Reaction score
Just tried my first Belgians...a Dubel and a Quad, both with T-58

the stuff kicked off within a few hours and peaked to the top of my fermenters in less than 24 and then collapsed a day later to a 1/2" krausen…

I've seen posts where people call this yeast a "monster"...I figured that meant a fast, but extended peak krausen?

I just moved a kettle sour over to secondary (for fruit addition) after 10 days in primary with T-58.

The most significant primary activity seemed really quick for me too, maybe a couple of days, but I let it sit anyway. Didn't take gravity readings until days 9 and 10 so not really sure when it finished, other than by day 9.

When I added fruit (9lbs) in secondary, that fermentation seemed to linger a bit longer. Maybe 3 days or so, but again I don't plan to take gravity readings until I'm actually ready to move it off the fruit and bottle.

Neither fermentations were as vigorous as I expected. No blowoff. Pretty uneventful actually. The beer is starting to take shape and seems like it'll be a good one. On another note, it tastes quite dry but that could be from an unnecessarily complex mash schedule that included a couple rests at some of the lower temps. Could be from the lactobacillus. Who knows.

I do 2 packs of T-58 for the triples and quads. Always gets the FG to where it needs to be (10%+ ABVs). It is fast, starts fast, ferments vigorously and is probably done in four days though I leave them all for three weeks. The krausen has been moderate and falls like normal as far as I've noticed. I use a 7.9 gallon fermenter for a 5 gallon batch so I can't gauge its performance as it relates to blowing beer out the fermenter--none ever have.
For fun, not because it was needed, I just pitched 3 T-58s at 66°F and 56°F room temp (I don't do electronic temp control). I got a little bit larger krausen but it still took the same amount of time to finish. I'm looking to see what kind of flavors this change produces. Even if I goofed by pitching three, it's all good. Smell was a little milder from the airlock.
Another yeast, M-41, in combination with T-58 took my expected FG .004 points lower two times in a row. Two M-41 on their own, took my beer .015 points below expected.
Who's the monster now? (I'm just kidding around)
The thing with M-41 so far is that, though it ferments the bejeezus out of the beer, it's been pretty cloudy in the bottle, whereas I usually see it clear up better by this time with just T-58.

I just used a single pack. I know most the recipes call for 2 in a quad but after doing a RIS on a single fermentis US-05 and hitting about 14% (and it's yummy) I figured why not? I'm planning to leave it in primary for a up to a month anyway. then keg condition at 55-60 for several months before drinking.

RIS on a single fermentis US-05 and hitting about 14% (and it's yummy)
That's awesome. I'm sure one's fine and some time ago, I would use just one and the beer turned out great. The packets do pack a good punch.
I have had a much easier time with high-ABV Belgians than with RISs. I'm assuming it is because the Belgians are chock full of sugar.
I did use 2 US-05s for my RIS and it worked pretty well (12% ABV) but I may have not taken care of it enough during fermentation. Carbonating was a bear and I never did get it where I wanted.
My high-ABV Old Ales aren't as fast to carb as my Belgians but they get full there in a month. I use S-04. Not sure (and don't particularly care) what the difference is between US-05 and S-04.

I have used T-58 a few times. I don't know how fast because I pitch in the afternoon. Some are fermenting by the time I go to bed. Some are not. All but one of my 107 batches was fermenting by morning. That one started during the day. I then close up my chamber for 2 weeks, I might look sometimes to see if there is blow off that needs to be cleaned up. So I really have no idea how fast any yeast is. I also never take a gravity reading before day 14.

I do like the flavor the yeast imparts though.

I believe US-05 is American style ales and s-04 is more an English style ale? The RIS recipe I followed specified US-05 but didn't say how many. It did say do a starter but I skipped it. I planned and did leave it in the primary at 68 for an entire month before even sampling it. Maybe I just lucked out. But Fermentis yeasts have been very good to me...unlike Muntons :/

I believe US-05 is American style ales and s-04 is more an English style ale? The RIS recipe I followed specified US-05 but didn't say how many. It did say do a starter but I skipped it. I planned and did leave it in the primary at 68 for an entire month before even sampling it. Maybe I just lucked out. But Fermentis yeasts have been very good to me...unlike Muntons
That sounds about right on the 05 and 04. It only becomes of interest to me when I'm making my grocery list for brewing. I am, overall, very pleased as well with Fermentis
I think I'll use 3 packs of US-05 for the next RIS whether I need it or not and keep a close eye on fermentation temps. For me that's moving it around to four different rooms. I was thinking that it didn't carbonate so well was because I added whiskey (12oz according to the recipe) and that had an effect. Where I get my yeast, there's only three Munton's choices. I use Danstar/Lallemand, Fermentis and Mangrove Jack. Thinking of MJ, I might use that in place of or with US-05 for the RIS.
Cheers.

I will hit close to 100 in 2019...

Do you guys actually get T-58 to attenuate? It’s supposed to struggle with complex malt sugars. It always finishes rather high for me. Generally detest that yeast.

I will hit close to 100 in 2019...

Do you guys actually get T-58 to attenuate? It’s supposed to struggle with complex malt sugars. It always finishes rather high for me. Generally detest that yeast.

I've used T-58 a few times and always got decent attenuation, actually very decent when compared to what Fermentis claims about it ( 70% - I've just looked at the yeasts' specs and Fermentis changed the apparent attenuation from 72 to 78% )). Anything between 73 and 79%. Mash temperature always at 64-65C, 60 to 90 minutes, sugar in the boil. Now I've also used it together with BE-256 and the FG easily drops to 1.005-1.007, but it doesn't feel dry. The beers fermented only with T-58 and an FG of 1.010 feel medium-full bodied and always have a pleasent mouthfeel. The esters and phenols are subdued, which makes for a very simple beer, but the yeast itself is pretty good: good attenuation, flocculation is OK-ish, but sedimentation is poor, resulting in a loose, powdery sediment that will easily resuspend, it's a fast fermenter and will not stall, can be fermented colder and also much warmer than 75F.

I brewed a Belgian Pale Ale kit from Morebeer on Friday, and used T-58 as my yeast. I had right around 5 gallons in my keg - it was filled up to where the top of the keg starts to curve. I sprinkled 1 packet at around 72-73 degrees, set my fermentation chamber (chest freezer) to 67 degrees, and installed a blow-off tube.

By dinner time, it was already bubbling. That was unusual for me, as I usually sprinkle US-05 and it takes about 24 hours to get going.

When I woke up Saturday morning, the blow-off tube was already dirty and it was bubbling faster than my heartbeat.

Sunday morning the bubbling was about once every 4 seconds, so I took a small sample in a pipette and took a gravity reading with my refractometer. It was reading around 1.011 (down from 1.055 OG). The sample from the pipette tasted incredible.

I took off the blow-off tube, installed the spunding valve (set to 25 psi) and it only reached 15 psi. I guess fermentation was pretty much complete after 24-36 hours. So yes, I'd say it's fast!

I'll probably raise it to about 70 degrees today to see if it picks up a little more, but overall I'm surprised by how fast and efficient it was.

The Dubel was pitched on 11/17 @ 68' OG 1.064. Now on 12/5 it was at 1.020.

The Quad was pitched on 11/18 @ 68' OG 1.090. Now on 12/5 it was at 1.030.

I just raised the ferm chamber up to 72'. I feel they need to drop a few more points, although they are both quite tasty. Or should I just keg them both now and condition at 60' for a few months?

The Dubel was pitched on 11/17 @ 68' OG 1.064. Now on 12/5 it was at 1.020.

The Quad was pitched on 11/18 @ 68' OG 1.090. Now on 12/5 it was at 1.030.

I just raised the ferm chamber up to 72'. I feel they need to drop a few more points, although they are both quite tasty. Or should I just keg them both now and condition at 60' for a few months?

19 days.. I doubt they are going to go any lower.

You might condition the Quad at 1.090 but the Dubbel at 1.064 shouldn't need much in the way of conditioning. Keg them and give them an occasional taste. When they are good, drink more, but go slowly in case the conditioning make them even better.

well I usually shake the sample and let it go flat to get the co2 bubbles out before taking a reading. I figure the co2 coming out might affect the reading, lift the glass tube up a bit. I'm expecting higher ABV one both of these. More so on the Quad.

I was planning for them to condition a while anyway. Limited taps available and supposedly aging improves certain beers. Still haven't tapped my RIS from March...but still trying to put a nitro system together.

Looking at the Fermentis website...maybe I should have used BE-256 instead?

I thought it was for abbey style beers...can't recall exactly why I bought it. Might have been with the thought of an RIS type beer. But I ended up using a recipe that called for US-05 and it made it to 14%.

Anyway, I had the T-58 on hand and wanted to make a couple Chimay clones. I saved the yeast cake. Might re-use it on a golden strong soon. Maybe use the dubbel cake, not the quad.

From the Fermentis website: Specialty yeast selected for its estery somewhat peppery and spicy flavor development. Yeast with a medium sedimentation: forms no clumps but a powdery haze when resuspended in the beer.

From the Fermentis website: Specialty yeast selected for its estery somewhat peppery and spicy flavor development. Yeast with a medium sedimentation: forms no clumps but a powdery haze when resuspended in the beer.
Yes, but I never got pepper out of this, that's why I asked. I like pepper and I would love to get it from the yeast.

I get the spicy/pepper flavor in the Tripels. I don't notice it in the Quads.

I used it in a variation of pumpkin beer. I used the meat from a spaghetti squash. It has a peppery flavor and wanted to get the same from the yeast. I can't say with that one where the pepper came from. But I have used it in others and have gotten a bit of spice/pepper from it.

I could easily see the flavor getting masked in a maltier beer.

I used the meat from a spaghetti squash
That sounds like a really good match. I didn't originally choose T-58 for those pronounced flavors but for it's ability to ferment. It has worked well for me and it's all good.

I used it in a 4.5% fruited kettle sour and can't detect any pepper. It fermented pretty warm too. Maybe there's just too much going on for the pepper to shine through.

I like T-58, even tho' I do not use it very often. I used it once in a wheat beer fermented at ambient temperatures in the summer where it was probably close to 80 degrees, and that beer turned out really good. I've gotten pretty good attenuation with it, and it doesn't stall like S-33 often does. I should buy a few packets while it's on sale.

Anybody tried it in cider?

Back