T-58 / Sour question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZJoey23

Reaction score
Has anyone had experience with Northern Brewer's funktional fruity sour kit? I wanted to try a sour so I recently tried it, and I have a question- I just recently started fermentation after souring the wort, and it seems like it is done already. I used T-58 yeast, which was recommended, and it took off within a few hours. There was a healthy krausen, but within 24 hours it disappeared, and now 48 hours later it is gone with minimal airlock activity. Has anyone experienced this or have experience with T-58?
I followed the directions of the kit to a t. I've made multiple other brews and tried multiple other yeasts, but this just seems so fast to be done, even though I know the krausen is not the tell all for fermentation. Let me know if you have input, would love to hear some reassurance, cheers!

I used T-58 for a Belgian Pale Ale a couple of months back. If I remember right, it took off nicely, but never developed a huge krausen. To me, the bigger sign of fermentation was the churning of the beer. I could see a lot of particles floating up and down in the beer during fermentation, and then everything settled out and dropped out of suspension after a week or so.

I know T-58 is a relatively low-flocculation yeast, but I don't know if flocculation has any effect on krausen development. Maybe some of the smarter/more experienced brewers have an answer on that.

Back