SWMBO Heading to Milwaukee - Brew Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmendick

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggested brews to have SWMBO pick up from Milwaukee? I live in Omaha so I get Lakefront (she actually staying with her brother who lives 4 blocks from their brewery).

It doesn't have to be Milwaukee based, but are there any rare brews that get distributed there?

We get some Stone and Founders here just FYI.

Hamm's? Not sure if you have that in Omaha. So good.

And New Glarus anything. Moon Man is my favorite.

I would suggest the New Glarus fruit sours (750ml bottles). Oso makes some good beer. Ale Asylum has some very good hoppy beer (Hopalicious and Bedlam).

Also Central Waters has some awesome beers, especially their barrel aged stuff.

Feel free to PM me with any specific questions (I'm about 1.5 hours north of MKE)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I don't like Central Waters' beers (weird yeast character), but I second (third?) anything by New Glarus. Great beers, every one of them, and they have some cool specialty beers if you're into things like framboise or sours. I especially like Moon Man pale ale, and their IPA but you can't go wrong with any of them.

Ale Asylum from Madison is good- there is one called "Hopilicious" or something like that I like.

If she is a beer person, or a wine person, send her to "Discount Liquors" to load up. I love the selection there!

I think spotted cow is a little boring, but I lived in Madison for 5 years for grad school and got a little sick of it. New Glarus' fruit beers are absolutely amazing though, particularly the Belgian Red and Serendipity (which has a neat story behind it)

Lake Front is a big one in Milwaukee, but I've never 'loved' any of their beers. The tour is always great though, as the tour guide is almost always half in the tank.

Ale asylum is my favorite in the area. If you can find their Ballistic IPA, it is in my top 3 IPA's of all time. There's a little brewery in lake mills called tyranena which makes some great beers too. Sprecher's black bavarian is nice, not crazy about their other beers.

Wow that was fast. New Glarus it is....
I'll definatly have her go to Discount Liquors and look into O'so and Ale Asylum.
Anything else that I will feel like Im missing out on?

Also we actually do have Hamm's...unfortunately....:(

No local to WI, but if you're part of the cult of 3 Floyds, they distribute to Milwaukee. She'd need to go to a specialty store (Discount Liquor) to get it. Otherwise, the above suggestions are all good ones.

I can't add anything not brought up already. But have her do the lakefront tour. Tons of fun, oh make sure she stops by and says hi to Fonze..

! ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396021624.735300.jpg

Sent from my van, down by the river.

I would suggest the New Glarus fruit sours (750ml bottles). Oso makes some good beer. Ale Asylum has some very good hoppy beer (Hopalicious and Bedlam).

Also Central Waters has some awesome beers, especially their barrel aged stuff.

Feel free to PM me with any specific questions (I'm about 1.5 hours north of MKE)

This

Lake Louie makes a darn good scotch ale called Warped Speed.

Furthermore turns out pretty good stuff.

Capital Brewery used to be all lagers but with recent brewmaster changes that are now doing some ales that have been well received.

Bell's distributes all over WI. Two Hearted IPA is probably their best known beer.

Also Woodman's grocery stores have a huge liquor/beer/wine selection. Cash/check/debit card only though, no credit.

Wow that was fast. New Glarus it is....
I'll definatly have her go to Discount Liquors and look into O'so and Ale Asylum.
Anything else that I will feel like Im missing out on?

Also we actually do have Hamm's...unfortunately....:(

Anything Central Waters barrel aged for sure. Excellent (under hyped) beers at excellent prices. O'so is very average for the most part.

And if she's driving there, and you enjoy IPA's, it'd be in your best interest to convince her to stop in Iowa or Western WI for anything Toppling Goliath. She won't find any better IPA's in the state... IMHO, of course :D

I just did a three day beer tour of Wisconsin and found an IPA from 3 Sheeps brewing. That was an excellent IPA! I think it was Stone Arch that had a chocolate stout that was also excellent. 3 Sheeps is from Sheboygan and Stone Arch is Appleton. Found both in bottles so they should be around Milwaukee. Oh, and +1 to all the above!

I can't add anything not brought up already. But have her do the lakefront tour. Tons of fun, oh make sure she stops by and says hi to Fonze..

Sent from my van, down by the river.

Like i said her brother lives just across the river....5 minutes away, we've taken that tour it is awesome.

Didnt know Three Floyds distributed to WI I've never had any of it, so really excited to try that and some of the local-ish brews above.
Will have to post a few pics of what she spoils me with when she gets home on Sunday night. :tank:

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396220172.355667.jpg
Left to Right
DFH 61
Bell's Two Hearted
O'so Night Train
Three Floyd's Alpha King
New Glarus Wisconsin Belgian Red
Three Floyd's Robert the Bruce
Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA
Lagunitas Sucks
New Glarus Moon Man
Avery Out of Bounds Stout

The guy at Discount Liquor picked out a few extras for us.

That's a great haul. I agree with Yooper that the O'so porter is really good. Looks like you picked up quite a nice selection of brews.
:tank:

Back