Surprising Result! Metheglin turned out tasting exactly like cinnamon rolls! Recipe!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalopy19

Reaction score
I bottled some metheglin tonight and was surprised that it smelled and tasted exactly like cinnamon rolls! I was attempting to formulate a recipe for "Chai Spice Metheglin", but now I am definitely calling it "Cinnamon Roll Metheglin".

3 lbs orange blossom honey
Lavin 71B-1122 5g in 6.25g GoFerm in 125mL (not warmed) water
Walmart "Spring" water to 1 gallon
(1/4 tsp DAP/Urea / 1/4 tsp Fermaid K) x3 at 24 hours, 3 days, 5 days
Starting gravity 1.117

1 month in. Gravity 0.995 (lower than expected).
Racked onto 12 whole cardamom pods
One about 6 inch cinnamon stick
2 small cloves
One large/split vanilla bean
The mead became very cloudy at this point. I believe it was the cinnamon stick producing some kind of mucous like material in suspension.

About 1-2 weeks later racked onto 1/2 tsp K-sorbate and 1 crushed K-Meta tab. The mead was still quite cloudy.

About 6-8 weeks later the haze had settled out completely, and the mead was perfectly clear.

Racked and back sweetened with 5/8 cups orange blossom honey to FG: 1.011.
I usually like my meads around 1.015-1.020, but this seemed plenty sweet at 1.011.

I think the key is that the cardamom pods gave kind of a savory/almost bread-y component. I think if you blindfolded someone and had them smell it they would say cinnamon roll, not mead/alcohol. Tastes great without any fusel alcohol flavor. Perfectly clear. I thought I'd share as it was such a surprise to me. I expected "Chai Tea" flavor!

I will have to try this one. I have found that a little cinnamon goes a long way in a methaglin especially when added to the secondary. How old was the methaglin when you tasted it? It looks like 11-14 weeks to the stage you had it clear and ready to bottle.

I started it mid May 2015. It was my first real experiment with degassing (at least daily) and SNA. The mead was at 0.995 at about 3 weeks and totally clear by 4 which was faster than I'd ever seen. It is definately a cinnamon bomb and I'd probably half the cinnamon if i did it again. No off flavors or fusels that i can detect at this point. I probably could have bottled sooner if i was trying to get it done in 2 months.

Awesome! This sounds like something I'd like to try. For how long did you degass (until the 1/3 break or for longer?)

Often. Plus it's easy to do in one gallon batches. There is no downside and it's hard to oxidize mead due to the low pH. Especially early on. I'd do it for the first week at least. Keeps the pH from getting tooo low and the co2 from stressing the yeast. I say do it as long as you can still get lots of bubbles out.

Back