JAOM with 71B

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redeemer

Reaction score
So I decided to make another JAOM since my last one turned out pretty good and I have learned a bit since then, and wanted to share with you guys. I also have been wanting to try 71B for awhile and thought this would make a good test. Yes I know it isn't a true JAOM cause I mixed it up a little but I feel like the fundamentals are there.

September 23, 2019

Ancient Orange Mead.

4 Gallons Ozarka Spring Water +Enough to top up a 5 gallon carboy

12 Pounds Mesquite Honey

2 Pounds Orange Blossom Honey

5 grams Lalvin 71B rehydrated in equal parts Go-Ferm

1.5 Teaspoons Fermaid-K

1.5 Teaspoons Fermaid-O

1 Teaspoon potassium bicarbonate

1 clove

1 cinnamon stick

1 vanilla bean

2 cups dried cranberries

4 Valencia oranges, quartered, and zested.

September 24, 2019

2 Teaspoons Fermaid-O

September 28, 2019

2 Teaspoons Fermaid-O

October 20, 2019

Racked to secondary

Now when I racked to secondary what I did was fill up a 3 gallon carboy, and then a 1 gallon, followed by half a 1 gallon. I did this because I wanted to have some for sampling throughout the secondary, without having to remove the airlock from the larger carboy. Also I wanted to see if being on the lees (and there are lots in the half gallon) gave me off flavors, particularly with 71B and its reputation.
It is crystal clear which surprised me given such a short time. The taste is a little hot, but otherwise wonderful. I can make out all of the spices distinctly, but none of them overpower. It is almost completely dry but has a sweet mouth feel, if that makes sense. I can't wait to get this in the bottle and age it out a bit. This one is going to be really REALLY good.

Last edited:
Sounds good!

The sweetness in the mouthfeel can come from the spices as cinnamon, clove and particularly vanilla has "implied" sweetness that your brain through taste experience interprets as sweet, as long as the spices are not too strong in the solution. Well done.

Agree not a JAOM but looks like you are well on your way to more "traditional" practices and protocols and able to make really, REALLY good mead. What you will find is that higher ABV meads do get much better with age. I also have noted that as the mead ages spice tends to get a little muted and the honey will come through and "shine" as it smoothes out.

It just so happens I opened a bottle last night that was bottled in August of 2014 (14.5 ABV) and fermented similarly as yours without the spice addition. As an experiment I set 6 bottles aside after the majority of them were already consumed and have opened one every year. I would say that in this case for a "show" mead each year it has gotten appreciably better from year to year. (Even from year 4 to 5)

I have done the same for a couple of Melomels (Fruit in secondary) and Cysers (Apple juice in primary) and they unfortunately have not gotten appreciable better after about year 2 or 3. Still very good and much better than year 1 just not better each year like the show mead mentioned above.

With all that said - I would encourage you to keep perfecting your protocols and practices. The time it takes to get a higher ABV mead really REALLY good can be reduced significantly (9 - 18 months). Some of the lower ABV 7% or so practices (BOMM with the Wyeast L.O.R. recommends or Groenfell Meadery using Kviek Hot Head yeast as examples) can produce an exceptionally good mead (Hydromel) in a few months.

Welcome to the hobby (err addiction) Now on to boiling some honey for a Bouchet. (I love the way the house smells like peanut brittle when i'm done.)

Back