super simple amber ale extract brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cajunbrewer14

Reaction score
Has anyone made a super simple extract amber?

I'm wanting to do a 1 gallon batch on the cheap.

I was thinking

1 pound of amber dme
.2 ounces of cascade hops for 60 minutes
and some sort of ale yeast

comments?

You wanted to keep the Amber Ale super simple - and the Amber DME helps meet that goal. Assuming it’s fresh, you’ll be ok.

I don’t use much amber DME, but I can get it fresh and it works.

Thanks! Im going to give it a shot soon. should i use the whole packet of yeast?

Yeast pitch rate calculators will suggest that a full (11 gram) package of yeast in a one gallon batch of OG 44 wort is a large overpitch. If the beer style gets some of its flavors from the yeast, overpitching can be a bad thing.

Yeast pitch rate calculators will suggest that a full (11 gram) package of yeast in a one gallon batch of OG 44 wort is a large overpitch. If the beer style gets some of its flavors from the yeast, overpitching can be a bad thing.

Thanks. Did not know that!

As long as your extract is fresh, you follow the late DME addition guideline by holding most for flameout, and keep your ibu in check then there is no reason you shouldn't be able to produce a drinkable beer with that recipe. I personally would suggest s04, you'll have a clearer final product, quicker fermentation, and slightly lower attenuation then s05 leaving more of the malt to shine through.

one pound dme would do 4 gallons.i make a gallon, simple batches.some sugar?

1 cup dme to 1 cup hops.
simply chill add wort and bottle.
60 minutes is for a stronger flavor good.

To update this. I ended up doing 1.5 pounds of Amber DME and .5 ounce of Hallertauer hops i had left over from a Roggenbier. I did a 20 minute boil with hops in at 20 minutes. i used US-05 and left in fermenter for about a month then bottled up. Surprisingly it is a pretty decent beer. easy drinking. It came out very clear. It actually taste similar to a Yuengling lager. I have enough ingredients to do another batch. So ill do it again.

Amber LME I have is 1 year old and I have fresh Light DME plus cascade hops and yeast on hand. can I add them together for a 3 gallon brew?

You totally could mix those. Question asked in #16 is important. Also, how was the LME stored? It should have a nice smell to it.

Back