sugar in ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solo103

Reaction score
I have seen that some people are adding some sugar to the boil to give their ipa that nice dry finish thst you find in ipa's so I was wondering what type of sugar and when to add . I have seen their adding about 5- 10% of the grain bill and was wondering if that seems about right. Have a good recipe I came up with that has turned out well just looking to take it to the next level.
Cheers

I have seen that some people are using sugar in their ipa . I heard it gives it that dry finish that a ipa has. Any idea on what kind of sugar,when to add and how much . Thanks

If you want to use sugar,use dextrose. You don't want any residual sweetness in an IPA. And I wouldn't use more than 500g myself,& use your regular recipe. Just add the sugar on top of everything else.

Don't worry about dextrose. Any sugar with a high percentage of sucrose, dextrose, or glucose will be very fermentable and will improve the perception of dryness in the finish. A good double IPA uses that technique to avoid a too sweet or thick perception in those beers.

I use regular table sugar. No issues. I like my IPAs to come in 1.010 or lower. I use around 7 to 10%. I would not go above 10%.

Latest posts

Back