Substitute for Wyeast's Fat Tire ale yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hercules Rockefeller

Reaction score
does anyone have any suggestions for a substitute for the Fat Tire ale yeast that Wyeast released last year as part of their VSS program? I brewed a couple of batched with it last year and loved it, but the samples I harvested from those batched got left behind when I moved. So now I'm trying to brew those recipes again, but with different yeast. The particular qualities I'm looking for is the malty, bready flavor, the slight phenolic flavor, and the cleaner finish (compared to most belgian ale yeast). any suggestions are appreciated!

The last one is in the fridge right now! I don't know why I didn't think of that. IIRC there are instructions somewhere in the forums for stepping up from such a small sample size to a full starter.

IIRC, the brewery recommends WLP001/1056 for the Fat Tire clone in the BYO 150 clone brews issue (which was published before the VSS strain was released)

i would step up from 300-500 ml's and then step to 1000 (just a guess- i use the next method) or you could just start with a half gal starter and pitch the bottle into that. wait a few more days then normal and then pitch the starter

Me and my friend found so many different suggestions on which yeast to use for Fat Tire, that we are trying two.
We brewed 10 Gallons, 5 have Wyeast 1056 American, and the other 5 have 1214 Belgian Abbey Ale

Fat Tire is my staple beer! I got hooked on it when I lived in Colorado and was overjoyed when I found it here in Chicago after I moved. I don't know if it officially meets the criteria for a "session" beer, but it is mine!
I've got my first stab at it - northernbrewer.com's clone (phat tyre) - going into a keg any day now. Their kit recommended 1056/WL001/Safale-05... makes sense, I figure, given that it's closer to an American Ale than a Belgian beer, really (despite being brewed by "New Belgian Brewing").

One thing that struck me about their recipe is that it lacked Biscuit Malt. It only called for steeping Victory Malt and Caramel 60L... To me, the toasty, biscuity aroma and mouthfeel of Fat Tire is it's most outstanding characteristic! I followed the recipe to the letter since it was my first run at it. We'll see how it turns out and I'm sure to mess around with it next time. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be able to stay away from the biscuit malt.

EDIT: I meant to ask; Wyeast released a specific Fat Tire yeast?!?! :eek: Is it actually any good?? Seriously, I will happily compensate you for mason jars, shipping, and for your trouble. If you're successful in washing the yeast from that last bottle, please let me know!!!

Also, I should comment that when I opened up the secondary to add the clarifying agent, it smelled PERFECT. Based on the smell, I think northernbrewer.com's Phat Tyre hop schedule is damn close, if not spot on! (1oz Perle 60min, 1oz Hallertau Select 15min).

bump.

<knock, knock>

so what's the story with the yeast? hops? I'd love to collab and nail down a Fat Tire clone... please share any successes, or more importantly, failures!

For the noobs in the room, myself included.
session beer
n.

Any beer that contains no higher than 5 percent ABV, featuring a balance between malt and hop characters (ingredients) and, typically, a clean finish - a combination of which creates a beer with high drinkability. The purpose of a session beer is to allow a beer drinker to have multiple beers, within a reasonable time period or session, without overwhelming the senses or reaching inappropriate levels of intoxication. (Yes, you can drink and enjoy beer without getting drunk.)

--

Let's use it in a sentence!

"Whoa. This 4.5 percent ABV lager is so crisp, refreshing and drinkable, with just a touch of hops and malty sweetness. I could drink this all day long! Actually, I think I might!" exclaimed Todd. "Sounds like a perfect session beer! Next round is on me!" agreed Jason.

Back