sub for cascade hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpdb185

Reaction score
i ordered a kit for a double wit. the recipe is 13.5lb of grain (roughly half belgian pilsner, half wheat). it calls for 1oz cascade (5% aa) for bittering and .5oz cascade for aroma. well, they only sent 1oz of hops :mad:. i have 1oz of galene (13% aa) leftover from an older batch and was wondering if i could just sub this into the bittering hops and use .5oz cascade/.5oz galena for bittering. 50/50 galena and cascade for bittering would leave me the .5oz cascade aroma addition, but would the galena throw off the style? i figure this would be much easier than calling them and then waiting 3-4 days just for .5oz of hops.

Galena would be ok for bittering, but I'm betting that there is a big difference in the AAU % of the galena vs the cascade. We could run it through some brewing software and tell you how much galena to use instead of the cascade for bittering. If you want to replace the 5 AAU bittering hops with an equal AAU of galena, that would be fine.

I'd use the cascade (NOT galena) for the second addition.

Edit- I saw that you have 13% AAU galena. You won't need more than .25 ounce added to the .5 ounce cascade, but my math sucks so I'd still use some brewing software to make sure it is right, or do the math instead of taking my word for it!

sorry, just realized that there is no 60min bittering addition, only a flavor and aroma addition. i have no idea how that will affect the flavor of the beer.

here's the recipe:

6.5lb belgian pilsner malt
2.5lb flaked wheat
4.5lb white wheat

1oz cascade (5%) @ 30min
.5oz cascade (5%) @ 5min
.125oz lemon peel @ 15min
.5oz cracked coriander @ 15min
.5oz bitter orange peel @ 15min

i already had it plugged into beersmith and it was showing 12.7 IBU's. replacing the 1oz cascade @ 30min with .5oz cascade/.20oz galena results in 12.9 IBU's. is that close enough? how much would the galena affect the flavor, since they're being used for flavor instead of bittering? and thanks Yooper, that was a record response time.

I honestly don't know! I've never used galena at 30 minutes. Since it's a very small amount, and you're just using it to gain a few IBUs, and you've got coriander and lemon peel anyway, I would assume the taste change would be negligible. But, as I said, that is an assumption on my part.

do you think it would be better to use the full 1oz of cascade for flavoring and the .2oz of galena for aroma? i'd rather the smell be off than the flavor.

also, it doesn't note a boil time. i've read that you need a 90min boil with pilsner malt, is that true in this case?

I'd go with a 90 minute boil and use @ 30min with .5oz cascade/.20oz galena, as you proposed. 30 minutes is at the extreme edge of flavor adds and the Cascade aroma add is important enough to keep that intact.

I'd go with a 90 minute boil and use @ 30min with .5oz cascade/.20oz galena, as you proposed. 30 minutes is at the extreme edge of flavor adds and the Cascade aroma add is important enough to keep that intact.

i guess my main question is would using the cascade/galena mix at 30min have a noticable effect versus the all cascade? would i be better off making them ship me the rest of the cascade or am i overestimating the effects here?

sorry, i hadn't been on in a few days. thanks David_42, i just wanted to make sure. i guess it's newbie paranoia.

Back