Stuck Shank and faucet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubba_drums

Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone! I am having a bit of trouble getting one of my faucets off of it's tower shank to give it a proper cleaning. So much trouble that I snapped the tooth off of the spanner wrench and had to replace it.

Thus far I have tried, hot water and boiling water poured over the fitting, a hair dryer left on to heat the fitting, a long soak in Oxyclean, a longer soak in hot PBW and last but not least some Penetrating Oil, all to no avail. Tonight's menu is for blunt force with a dead blow hammer, and possibly a heat gun or torch if I can get my hands on one. I'm trying really hard to not have to cut the shank assembly off of the draft line as the space to get the fittings on correctly is tiny and tough to work in.

Anyone have any experience with this and what worked for you? IMG_3548.JPG IMG_3546.JPG IMG_3544.JPG E416977D-BAA6-494D-A989-2C9BAAC2FDDB.JPG

A good spanner wrench (not the little beer faucet ones) on the shank and a big crescent wrench on the faucet. If you have to use both hands put the shank in vise and don't be afraid to wrench on it. Don't use vise grips or channel locks they will mark it up for sure.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013G48ZAI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Surprised it's stuck that hard. I've had this happen once too and broke the tooth off the wrench, but that was the cheapo included wrench. I bought a heavy duty one to replace it and was able to get the faucet off. The other times I've had it stick I would just run my sink hot water till it was at its hottest then soak a paper towel and wrap it around the ring, let it sit for a minute or so, then presto... loosens up. Sorry I don't have any other suggestions for ya.

Rev.

Almost sounds like galling (where the metals on the two mating surfaces sort of weld together) rather than beer goo. I'm curious to see what the parts looked like when you finally got them apart.

Back