Stuck fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damrass

Reaction score
A little background: I've brewed two hefeweizens before this batch. My first batch was a nightmare with lots of mistakes, but I learned a lot. The second batch went very smoothly with only a few minor mistakes.

Sunday I brewed a British Bitter kit from Northern Brewer. Everything went extremely smooth. Though I wasn't able to take a gravity reading, I have no reason to believe it came out significantly different than the kit target of 1.035.

I pitched Wyeast #1098 around 4pm Sunday, and by midnight it had started forming krausen. By the morning, the airlock was furiously whistling and the yeast was flocculating nicely. Everything was going as planned.

24 hours later (4pm Monday) the airlock had slowed considerably, and the yeast wasn't flocculating nearly as much. Today, there's no airlock activity, and the yeast has settled--no flocculation at all.

I suspect fermentation has stalled. Does it sound like it has? I won't be able to take a gravity reading till this weekend probably. Is it possible the fermentation has already run its course? 24 hours seems quite short, though I know it happens sometimes.

I've had low gravity beers (well, high ones too, actually!) ferment out in 24 hours before. I'd still let it sit a week or 10 days anyway, to clean up any off-flavors and yeast byproducts. I'm sure it's not stalled, that it's just about done and might only drop a couple more points in the next few days.

That makes me feel a little better.

But let's expect the worse: what if when I check the gravity this weekend, it's nowhere near the target of 1.011... should I pitch some more yeast or would the batch be a lost cause by then?

I don't think 1.011 is a lost cause at all.

The only thing I can suggest is to give it a bit of a swirl by picking up your fermenter. But do wait until the weekend, no point doing it so soon.

I once had a stout that fermented out in 2 days.

I won't. :)

But I have to order some things anyway (namely a beer thief--my turkey baster won't reach), so I figured I'd get some yeast I could use if it turns out I need to re-pitch. Any all-purpose neutral dry ale yeast would be good for backup situations like this, right?

Thanks everyone for the help so far. I'll report back in 10 days.

I won't. :)

But I have to order some things anyway (namely a beer thief--my turkey baster won't reach), so I figured I'd get some yeast I could use if it turns out I need to re-pitch. Any all-purpose neutral dry ale yeast would be good for backup situations like this, right?

Thanks everyone for the help so far. I'll report back in 10 days.

yes, a good dry yeast would be perfect. Also, it is good to have extra on hand just in case you need it, so you might as well order it and have it on hand.

But be patient. Your beer is fine. :)

Okay guys, my new beer thief came in yesterday. I got a gravity reading of ~1.05, almost at the target of 1.011. :D I guess I worried for nothing.

Oh, and the beer tasted GREAT. Best one yet. Can't wait until it's ready to drink. :rockin:

Okay guys, my new beer thief came in yesterday. I got a gravity reading of ~1.05, almost at the target of 1.011. :D I guess I worried for nothing.

Oh, and the beer tasted GREAT. Best one yet. Can't wait until it's ready to drink. :rockin:

Did you mean 1.005?

Back