Stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Wyatt

Reaction score
I am doing a honey blueberry hefe. My mash was same as any other mash. I mashed out around 155 f. Sparged around the same. Did a hour boil cooled it down to 65 and pitched my yeast. (Slp300) the next morning it was very aggressive now it seems to have slowed down after 3 days. My question is should I shake things up a little bit get my yeast back active or should I add 1 pound of my honey now instead of in the secondary to wake my yeast up. I know this subject comes up at least twice a week. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Being an ale, makes sense it slowed down after 3 days, if you are pitching a proper yeast rate, most average gravity ales will be fully fermented in 4-5 days, we just leave it longer to let yeast clean up after itself and to let krausen drop. I would take a gravity reading and if close to final gravity, no reason why you can't add the honey now, just watch out for a blow off from secondary fermentation when the yeast attacks the sugar in the honey.

put the honey in the keg and let it finish there. Might retain a bit more honey flavor

How's the gravity compared to what you started with and where you expected it to end?
You say you mashed out around 155. What was the mash temp for most of it? Or was that the 155?
That's a bit high, so you'll probably end up a bit higher FG than if you were at, say, 150 or 152.
|Also, if you had a lot of action early on, it's probably close to the end for that phase. Depending on what the ambient temp and the temp of the beer is. Fermentation does usually complete quicker than you'd think.

How's the gravity compared to what you started with and where you expected it to end?
You say you mashed out around 155. What was the mash temp for most of it? Or was that the 155?
That's a bit high, so you'll probably end up a bit higher FG than if you were at, say, 150 or 152.
|Also, if you had a lot of action early on, it's probably close to the end for that phase. Depending on what the ambient temp and the temp of the beer is. Fermentation does usually complete quicker than you'd think.
My mash temp was 155. My expected og was 1.037 I was shooting for 1.035 so I wasn't to far off. My fg should be 1.007 right now I'm at 1.012 but as I said it is slowing down. I didn't want a high abv on this beer anyway I wanted to keep it a summer beer nothing to get you hammered or anything. As I asked above if I add my honey now that might jump things back off right?

if it's slowing down, tht means it's still moving. You're not far off on the expected FG, |I would maybe give it another day and then put in the honey. |You want a little activity going on, but you do want it close, since the yeast will go after the simple sugars of the honey rather than slightly more complex in the beer.
||There's really nothing t oworry about at this point - everything is still moving along.

Slowing down after three days sounds pretty normal. Have you taken gravity readings? I would think adding honey at this point would be fine but doubt that your fermentation is actually stuck.

Back