Stuck fermentation or just done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donshizzles

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My measured OG on a milk stout I brewed was 1.069. I used US-05 and pitched right at 70 degrees 1 week ago today. Temp dipped to 66 degrees that same day and I had signs of fermentation about 13 hours later. After only 2 to 3 days it seemed fermentation stopped as the usual bubble in the blow-off jar ceased. I know this isn't necessarily a sign that there is no more fermentation going on so I left it be. Temp has been pretty steady between 65-67 degrees for the whole week.
I just took a gravity reading and I am at 1.022. My estimated FG is 1.011 so this seems to be quite a large difference right now. I plan on leaving it on the cake for another 2 weeks but was just wondering if I might be able to squeeze a few more points out over the 2 weeks? Or is it stuck? Also wondering if racking to a secondary would be worth it?

I highly doubt it is stuck. A milk stout especially with a decent amount of lactose will have a higher gravity. What temperature did you mash at and how much lactose did you use? If you post the entire grain bill and your process I can make a better educated statement.

Both of my stouts that had adjuncts had higher FG's. Don't worry it is probably where it needs to be at.

If its stays at that current FG you'll have the typical mouthfeel of a milk stout.

It's done. But more importantly, when posing the question "done or stuck," you should include the attenuation % (ideally excluding additions like lactose), the cited attenuation range for your yeast, the malt bill, and the mash temperature schedule. Otherwise it can be pure speculation.

Grain bill...........5.75 gallon batch

7lbs. 8oz. Maris Otter
1lb Crystal 60L
1lb Munich Malt 10L
1lb Roasted Barley
1lb Chocolate Malt
8oz Flaked Barley
8oz Flaked Oats
1lb Lactose
2.5oz Goldings East Kent

Mash single infusion @ 152 degrees for 60 mins
60 min boil, lactose in with 15 mins left

US-05 is usually 70-75% attenuation
Actual Attenuation 55.45% according to my calulations

Any advantage racking this to a secondary in a couple of weeks to clear it out and let it settle further? I intend to bottle condition it for at least a few months.

Looking at both your recipe and attenuation I think it is safe to say that it is done fermenting.

I plugged in your recipe and the estimated FG should be 1.021.

Your attenuation seems to be around 68% which is fine.

As for using a secondary, that is your personal choice. I tend not use a secondary on most batches especially darker stouts.

Good luck the rest of the way!

Looking at your grain bill there seems like a lot of unfermentable sugars, 68% attenuation in my opinion is low, seems your stout is done. If you are seeking higher attenuation next time, try a lower mash temperature,aerate(o2), use yeast nutrient, use two packets of rehydrated 05. Once krusen drops gently roll carboy to rouse yeast let warm up to room temperature. I just did a 1.070 brown ale with a 2liter starter of washed yeast from previous 05 ale, did all of the above sugestions and achieved 88% attenuation, good luck with your next brew.

I actually think 68% is really good for a milk stout. Heck, I recently made an imperial stout without lactose and got 62% attenuation. And yes, it was fully fermented and came out superb. The OP's 1 lb of lactose will really bring the attenuation down.

I actually think 68% is really good for a milk stout. Heck, I recently made an imperial stout without lactose and got 62% attenuation. And yes, it was fully fermented and came out superb. The OP's 1 lb of lactose will really bring the attenuation down.

Speed,
Didn't know what milk stout was, so I did a search, and that explains the attenuation of 68%. Sweet ale in not my cup of tea, in fact I am always trying to eliminate as much sweetness as I can.
Cheer's

If you want asmuch as you can get out of it. Rack to secondary and repitch the yeast. :) that always gets a couple points more.

If you want asmuch as you can get out of it. Rack to secondary and repitch the yeast. :) that always gets a couple points more.

Corpsickle,
I leave my ale in carboy 30 days, have been achieving 84-88% attenuation, why would move to secondary improve percentage? If I do move to secondary and re pitch you think there will be enough fermentable sugars left? Also how long in secondary?
Cheer's

Corpsickle,
I leave my ale in carboy 30 days, have been achieving 84-88% attenuation, why would move to secondary improve percentage? If I do move to secondary and re pitch you think there will be enough fermentable sugars left? Also how long in secondary?
Cheer's

Adding more yeast shouldn't achieve more attenuation. It possibly could, if the yeast strain is more attenuative than the first strain, but in my opinion it's a waste of time and expensive yeast. Why not just add the more attenuative yeast at pitching if a lower FG is desired?

Adding more yeast shouldn't achieve more attenuation. It possibly could, if the yeast strain is more attenuative than the first strain, but in my opinion it's a waste of time and expensive yeast. Why not just add the more attenuative yeast at pitching if a lower FG is desired?

Yooper,
I figured after 30 days there would be none or minute amounts fermentable sugars left. As far as your suggestion using a higher attenuating yeast, have been using 05, or Nottingham, do you have a suggestion of a higher attenuation yeast then them?

Moving to a secondary is up to your discretion. I do it because when I repitch it is a strong and hearty yeast start. I find if I don't move to secondary it goes to the trub for food instead of the remaining sugar that I whish to target.

I do this whenever I am trying to achive a dry profile. It sometimes even kicks up the karusen again!

Last batch.. simple easy drinking pale.
Og - 1.035
Fg - 1.011 ( held for 2 weeks)
Repitch yeast
Fg - 1.002 ( one week later)

The yeast know thier inviroment and go dormant when the sugars are depleting. But if you introduce a fresh batch of yeast to and already fermented beer they will do their damndest to ferment anything left. It is important to have a strong pitch though because there is no more oxygen in the new beer and the cells with not divide like they do in an airated battch of wort.

(On a side note I just figured out how to recreate the Kilkenny nitro pour!!!)

Good luck!!!

Back