Stuck Fermentation or just cold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlaineC

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I have a small all-grain 2 gal batch going sg was 1.047. when changing to the secondary it was 1.045 and two weeks later its still 1.045. Now I'm drawing from a spigot into a vial for testing but the refractometer reads 1.045 and is not changing. our temps have been low 30s-45s so im not sure if i should toss in some laggering yeast or what to do.

OK, looking a little closer, you haven't had much fermentation, yet, produced maybe 1% alcohol so far, with a current (real value) FG of around 1.040, down 8 points from 1.048.

low 30s-45s
That's too cold for beer yeast, even most lagers yeasts would need 45F, at least.
Any warmer place in the home, around 65-70F constantly. Temp fluctuations, especially when fermenting at the low end of the yeast's range, are not helpful,. she may even stall.

What yeast?
Yes, please, what yeast?

safale 05 is the yeast
was planning on using my ferm chamber but its full atm. so brought them in the house but the kitchen stays around 65

safale 05 is the yeast
was planning on using my ferm chamber but its full atm. so brought them in the house but the kitchen stays around 65
Your 65 degree kitchen might be just fine for S-05 yeast, depending on how constant the 65 degrees is. If the beer is getting too warm, a tub of cool water can mitigate that.

How long have the beers in your ferm chamber been there. They might be ready to come out to leave room for a different beer. Most ales need temperature control for the first 3 to 5 days and then they can come out and be warmed to help the yeast complete the fermentation. I often leave my ales at 62 ambient temp for a week, then bring them to a warmer location for the next week or 2 or 3.

I've don't done quite a few 2½ gallon or less brews with US-05. All kept inside the house and usually around 68 - 70°F ambient air temps. The internal temp of the beer will go up to near the upper end of the ideal limit briefly during the krausen, then it'll settle back down to near ambient for the remaining days in the FV.

30-45°F is pretty low temps for fermenting ales and the likes. US-05's ideal temp range is 18-26°C (64.4-78.8°F).

Let us know if it's doing anything after it's been inside for a day or two. Check your SG then too if it's not too invasive to get a sample without letting a bunch of air into the FV.

Last edited:
Your 65 degree kitchen might be just fine for S-05 yeast, depending on how constant the 65 degrees is. If the beer is getting too warm, a tub of cool water can mitigate that.

How long have the beers in your ferm chamber been there. They might be ready to come out to leave room for a different beer. Most ales need temperature control for the first 3 to 5 days and then they can come out and be warmed to help the yeast complete the fermentation. I often leave my ales at 62 ambient temp for a week, then bring them to a warmer location for the next week or 2 or 3.
Sadly the beers in the ferm chamber need to stay there. My brew house in unheated so keeping them temp controlled is a must.

Back