Stuck fermentation in my stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Stout's fermentation has been stuck at 1.020 for the last 3 days. It was right after i bumped it up from 65 to 67 for a diacetyl rest that it stopped and stayed there. Last night i've had it resting at room temp (70-71) the yeast is WLP090 SanDiego Super yeast and i didn't make a starter, which i regret now. This was my first Partial mash and i was told that DME does usually ferment higher than all grain, but this seems a little too high. Target Fg in beer smith is 1.015.

Recipe for 5.5gal :
* 6lb Pale DME
* 1lb Chocolate
* 0.5lb Carafa II
* 0.5lb Caramel 60
* 0.5lb Caramel 120
* 0.5lb Caramunich
* 0.5lb Melanoiden
* 2.5lb Roast barley
* 30IBU Columbus at 60mins.
* 1Lb Coconut flakes in secondary
* SG 1.066

I don't actually have any extra DME to make a starter by top cropping, and there's also almost none on the top to do that. i'm a little worried about shaking it all up or re-oxygenating for fear of oxidation. So, Is pitching a packet of S-04 and cold crashing at my target FG the best move? Or should i just leave it at 1.020 and keg?

i don't think it is stalled, I think it is done. You have a lot of unfermentable sugars in there from the cara malts. I think I would keg it and let it sit for a while. Your keg won't explode like bottles would if it does restart.

Like RM-MN mentioned, it should be done. Let it rest on the yeast cake for a week, it'll also help to clear it. You can also take a small sample and add some sugar in it to see if fermentation/bubbling starts, this will confirm fermentation was over.

You don't want a lower FG in such a low ABV beer. My latest Milk Stout started at 1.077 and finished at 1.036 resulting in a 5.4% ABV beer. Dissapointing, as i was aiming for it to finish at 1.040. Not sweet, not cloying and it still needs more body and mouthfeel.

I'd say it's done.

+ whatever number on unfermentable sugars. There's a lot.
As a contrast, I make a beer with a lot of DME, sugar and steeped/mashed two-row malt. It might seem that the beer would end up sweet but it's the opposite--much dryer. This combo dives waay down (1.008 to 1.010) because it's all being fermented by the yeast.

Back