Stuck fermentation fix? Have i just done it wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lizzard98

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm very new to brewing and I have started with mead. The recipes and advice I followed didn't mention anything about measuring the starting gravity?
I am trying to make a gorse mead, started it about 6 weeks ago. It was only in the primary for 4 days as that was what was suggested. I stirred each day and it was very nice and bubbly. When I transferred it to the 5L demijohn however it only reached the shoulder of the bottle. It has been in there for about 4 weeks and there has been no movement in the airlock. Today I decided to test the %, and it is sitting at about 3% midway on the beer measure. There were little bubbles on the surface but I think that the big air gap may have slowed (or stopped?) the fermentation? I tested it today because it has cleared quite nicely.

I have been reading into fixes because I really don't think this is right. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I make a new mini batch of honey water and yeast as a starter or should I try topping it off? (I've read that this will dilute the solution and the alcohol content). Any help would be much appreciated!

The recipes and advice I followed didn't mention anything about measuring the starting gravity?
Not uncommon when someone jumps in. If you have the honey and water amount, we can probably come up with the estimated ABV.
It was only in the primary for 4 days as that was what was suggested. I stirred each day and it was very nice and bubbly. When I transferred it to the 5L demijohn
Are you saying that after 4 days in primary, you moved it to the other vessel?
Today I decided to test the %, and it is sitting at about 3% midway on the beer measure.
I'm guessing that you are talking about a hydrometer? If so, the % on the side would be the estimated amount of fermentable sugars left and not the actual ABV.

To know the ABV, we need the original reading and your final reading.
There were little bubbles on the surface but I think that the big air gap may have slowed (or stopped?) the fermentation? I tested it today because it has cleared quite nicely.
When you use the hydrometer, give it a good spin in the liquid to help separate clinging bubbles that might affect your reading.
I have been reading into fixes because I really don't think this is right. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I make a new mini batch of honey water and yeast as a starter or should I try topping it off? (I've read that this will dilute the solution and the alcohol content). Any help would be much appreciated!
If it has cleared nicely, it is likely done but you haven't given enough info to know for sure. If you used the hydrometer, what was the reading, not the % numbers. Take a picture if not sure.

Ideally, you should have as little headspace as possible which is why many of us start our batches bigger than what we will rack into... As far as the space goes, I wouldn't worry too much as long as you aren't constantly opening it to the air as there should be CO2 in there from the fermentation that finished up.

Latest posts

Back