Stuck Fermentation Belgian Tripple

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhbarc

Reaction score
I have a Belgian Tripple that has been in the fermentor for 22 days the OG was 1.074 as of day 19 the gravity was at 1.033. I brewed this beer on 01/10. I pitched the yeast at 70 deg F and had a very vigorous fermentation with in 4 hours of pitching. The high krausen was approximately 20 hrs after pitching. My temperrature has been consistently in the mid 60's. The yeast I used is WYEAST 3787 the package suggest 64-78 deg F temp. range.The consensus
from a previous thread is that the fermentation is stuck. It has been suggested that I re-pitch a starter using WLP001. My question is will the
WLP001 be alcohol tollerat enough to work?

I would try rousing the yeast and warming it up to low 70s first before pitching a new yeast.

As for alcohol tolerance 001 should be fine. Your current abv is a little over 5% by my calculations. White labs website says it has high tolerance. Wyeast 1056 which is similar lists 11% tolerance.

JBmadtown On 01/25 I swirled the fermentor and began raising the temp to the mid 70's on 01/27 the temp was in the mid 70's and there was more airlock activity. I checked the gravity on 01/29 it was at 1.033. I will check it again tonight and see if has moved .

It is possible that you have a bunch of unfermentables. If thats the case it aint gonna go down with more of the same yeast which i guess is why the WLP001 was suggested. I am thinking you might have a better time trying a Lager yeast (might be wrong here) as those guys will eat some different sugars.

I had a very similar situation recently. Tripel that started at 1.082. Put sugar in as fermentation was slowing down. I got "stuck" at 1.030 which is not exacgtly the 1.008 i was aiming for. Honestly I dont know if i can really recommend my methodology, but threw in a tiny amount of "dry enzyme" (similar to beano i hear). Finished at 1.004. Though, it could have gone lower with the enzyme, as they really need to be heated to "turn them off". I added some maltodextrin at bottling to get it up to 1.006. Had my first bottle yesterday. Was pretty damn good.

I'd say try lager yeast or even a champagne yeast before doing my stupid things :)

DEFALCO'S BELGIAN TRIPEL RECIPE
Deep gold hue, strong, slightly sweet, with some bite.
O.G. - 1.074 F.G. - 1.016

INGREDIENTS:
2 lbs. Old Bavarian Munich Blend
6 lbs. light malt extract
1/2 lb. Cara-pils malt
2 lbs. Belgian pilsner malt
1 oz. Hallertauer Tradition hops (bittering)
1 oz. Fuggles hops (flavoring)
1/2 oz. Czech Saaz hops (finishing)
1 lb. white (or light candy) sugar (end of boil)
1 pkg. Safbrew T-58 Yeast (Wyeast #1214, #1388, #1762, or White Labs Trappist/Abbey Ale
Yeast WLP3787)
1 pkg. Bru-Vigor (yeast food)
2/3 cup white sugar

This is the recipe I used the only cahnge i made was I used 1.25# of turbanado (unbleached cane sugar) instead of the 1# of candy sugar at flame out.

Back