Strange problem with yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThinMan

Reaction score
I am making a Belgian IPA for the sole purpose of using yeast that I would have from a fresh brewed Golden Strong (Wyeast 3787-Trappist High Gravity). The Golden had been on Primary for 30 days. I brewed the Belgian IPA and ended @ 1.088. I took 2.5 cups of the yeast cake and pitched it in.

This is where the trouble begins...no krausen or airlock activity for 24 hrs. If you have used this yeast, you know it gets going strong very quick..you would think even faster from a yeast cake.

Here is what I have probably done wrong:

1)Pitched the yeast to warm. The cake was @ 83 degrees so I pitched @ 83 degrees. I should have let it cool further. I put it in swamp cooler and brought it to 68 right after I pitched.

2)I do not have an aeration system. I pour out of the kettle through a sieve and generally get a lot of aeration that way. My beers start fermenting on schedule.

3)The yeast cake has been sitting in a high alcohol environment for quite a while (8%+) and have lost viability.

After 24 hrs I pitched another 4+ cups of the remaining yeast cake and still have nothing after 12 hrs. This beer should be blowing the lid off, not sitting still.

Please help!!!!

Back