Strange infection in cider (pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bchains

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have 2 gal of campden-sterilized pressed apple cider that has been sitting in the secondary for 2 months now. It had a great primary fermentation with safale s-04 and fermented to dryness. I've had great success with other bathches. About 3 weeks ago the airlock dried out (DOH) and I topped it up with vodka.

Since then the cider has developed a strange white speckly film on the surface. There is a slight sheen to it. It's not growing or turning into a "mother", and there isn't a vinegary odor coming off - compared to the cider vin we have from the supermarket. In fact it smells pleasant like regular fermenting cider. It almost looks like what happens when I've added yeast to an over-sulfited batch - but all the yeast should be dormant in the lees.

My first guess was that something aerobic got in, and I'd hoped for acetobacter, so I replaced the airlock with cheesecloth a week ago. But since then the little specs have just increased in density. No other changes.

I've done my homework online and consulted a few books but I'm stumped.

What do you guys think is going on?
Is it aceto, brett, a film yeast, or something else?
Should it grow into a big blob
How long does aceto take to work its magic and make things smell like vinegar?

See pics attached..

Thanks a lot.
Bryan

photo 123.jpg

photo 234.jpg

It may be nothing more than a few yeast islands forming in response the the O2 that entered the carboy when your lock dried out. Let it ride and see what happens.

Bryan

Have you tasted it? If it doesn't answer your question as to "what it is" then it will at least answer the more important question of "can I drink it".

If it is done fermenting I would bottle it. empty air locks can be ugly but in some cases it can be a welcomed organism.

+1 on Unferth. If u like it drink it.

Thanks, guys.

1), It tastes alright.. bottling may be the best option..
And 2), I left a bunch of headspace to encourage a vinegar conversion.. how long should this take if it "takes"?

Without mother of vinegar, it's a pure shot in the dark that you'll get vinegar. If you can find some unpasteurized vinegar in a Whole foods store, that will serve.

Back