Stout Recipe. Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b33risGOOD

Reaction score
This is what i have set to go for my first stout.

malt & fermentables

71% 5# Light Dry Malt Extract

29% 2# Black Barley

hops

boil 60 mins 2 ounce English Phenoix Hops pellet Alpha:7.8%

yeast

White Labs Irish Ale (WLP004)
ale yeast in liquid form with medium to high flocculation

O.G 1.055

F.G 1.014

Color 58 srm
40.9 IBU
5.5% ABV

This is my first stout and i also want a nice coffee flavor so i can drink in the morning times, yea.

That's a ton of black for a five gallon stout. And by "black barley" does that mean roasted barley? Roasted barley is the common dark malt for an Irish stout. My suggestions are to reduce the dark roasted component to 10-15% and increase the extract to six pounds at the same time. My guess is that your posted ABV % is using the total weight of ingredients and the black grain does not provide any fermentable sugars. I would also consider adding a little chocolate malt to go with the roasted barley to add a touch of flavor complexity and cut back on the hopping rate a bit. Such as:

6# DME
.75# Roasted barley
.25# Chocolate malt
1.5 oz Phenix Hops

Thanks for the break down.

About the black barley, im assuming its roasted black barley. Damn does anyone know if there is a diffrence. Im using an online store so its difficult to ask

Latest posts

Back