Stout Hopping Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Foley

Reaction score
I am trying to brew a stout this weekend. Here is my 5 gal recipe:

7 lbs. LME

1 lb crystal 40L
8 oz. Black Roasted
4 oz. Black Patent
4 oz. Chocolate malt

Hops
1 oz. Northern Brewer 60 min
1 oz. Cascade 1 min

However, I only have cascades and Kent Goldings. I thought Kent goldings would be better for aroma, can I use Cascades for bittering with this style? Can someone give me a good idea of how much of each hop to use? Thanks.

Stouts typically don't have aroma hops.

You can look around the Recipe Database to confirm, but most people do indeed do only one addition at 60 minutes.
This is also what Ray Daniels suggests in "Designing Great Beers": "Make a single hop addition at the beginning of the boil that will provide a BU:GU ratio of about 1.0 for dry, foreign and imperial stouts. Sweet stouts should have a BU:GU ratio of about 0.5"

You could go with about an ounce of cascade or goldings.

This is all to say that, if you are trying to experiment with aroma hops in stouts, go ahead, but do realize that it is atypical (which can be a good thing).

+1 on a single hop addition. You want all those great roasted aromas to be what you smell in your stout. I would use the Northern Brewer for that, keep the expensive Cascades and EKG for a recipe where you will taste and smell them.

bradsul said:
+1 on a single hop addition. You want all those great roasted aromas to be what you smell in your stout. I would use the Northern Brewer for that, keep the expensive Cascades and EKG for a recipe where you will taste and smell them.

everything he said:D

A stout has enoungh flavor without tossing hops in there just to get lost.

thanks for the advice guys. The above recipe is B3's stout kit recipe. I have done it before and thought it was very good. But, I do not have northern brewer. If I am going to do a single hop addition should I use cascade or goldings and how much? Thanks.

The advice I gave was to preserve the BU:GU ratio and soften the hop flavor. I was assuming you wanted a flavor addition, but I would never use Cascade as a flavoring hop in a stout. If I were designing my own stout, I'd skip the flavor addition altogether, as has been suggested above.

If you just want a single bittering hop addition, use whichever hop is cheaper per AA% (or whichever variety is easier for you to replace). I'm guessing that about 1.5 oz of either variety will maintain the balance of the original recipe. If you have the AA% of each, I can calculate it more accurately.

Hey thanks. The goldings are 4.5% and the Cascades are 6.3%. I only have one ounce of the goldings, but a few ounces of cascades. Let me know what you think.

Back