Storing ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DasGuy

Reaction score
Hello brewers, I've ben a troll and tried to search out most of my problems, however, I have noob question. I just received my second brew kit from NB this afternoon and was planing on brewing it this weekend. However, a few things have come up and SHMBO ruled out the possibility of brewing this weekend, and with her birthday on Monday I MUST listen. Anyway, back to the reason for my post. I put my yeast and hops in the fridge as soon as I got the kit, but I was wondering if I need to do anything special with the other ingredients. I have both a package of DME and some LME, as well as specialty grains, I'm wondering about what to do to store them properly. Thanks for your help, sincerely The new guy. Cheers

I keep the whole works in the fridge especially if my grain is already cracked, otherwise the rest is pretty stable in a cool place until you brew. I keep several ingredients on hand in case of emergencies and haven't run into any issues. Liquid extract has a timeline on it so you want to make sure you have really fresh LME if you are having to carry over for long periods of time.

I usually store my hops in the freezer, but i dont think there is much difference refrigerator vs freezer if you're storing for such a short time (1-2 weeks).

Thanks for the info. Will storing hops in the freezer damage them at all? I probably won't resort to that, I'm just curious.

My LHBS stores all the hops in a freezer. I vacuum seal and freeze all my home grown hops.

I store my sealed bags of hops in a zip lock bag in the freezer. Yeast packets in the butter cubby on the fridge door. LME in the fridge as well. DME & grains are stored in the pantry. I prefer my grains to stay dry,whereas in the fridge might cause them to sweat. Defrost cycles can likely cause that to happen.

Latest posts

Back