Quantcast

Storing ingredients for the long term?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Berlbrew

Reaction score
Today was the Massachusetts 10% sale day at AHS! (finally!) And so I made sure to take advantage as much as I could and order ingredients for my next 3 batches.

I've never bought this much grain and extract at once and it occured to me that freshness might be an issue. If I don't plan on brewing a batch for say, 4 months, do I need to refrigerate or freeze any ingredients like milled grains, hop pellets, or DME? I'm willing to bet that I do...

ajf

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The hops should go straight to the freezer where they will be OK for a year or more. The DME will be fine if it's kept dry. The milled grains should be used as quickly as possible as they don't keep well once milled.

-a

COLObrewer

Reaction score
The hops should go straight to the freezer where they will be OK for a year or more. The DME will be fine if it's kept dry. The milled grains should be used as quickly as possible as they don't keep well once milled.

-a
+1, maybe the milled malt should go into something very air tight or better yet vaccuum packed, but it sounds like a good excuse to get more primary fermenters and brew FASTER!!!:rockin:

ajf

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I don't really know how long the grain would last because mine always gets used within 30 minutes of milling. Try a google search on this forum for milled grain storage.

-a.

ajf

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Again, I don't really know because I have difficulty in keeping it that long, but my base malt has a "best used by" date of 11 months after the manufacturing date. It should be kept cool (sub 80F) and dry, and away from critters.

-a.

The Pol

Reaction score
Unmilled malt... stored in a cool, dry, pest free place? Over a year... easy. Mine is in sealed plastic bags, air tight plastic bags.