Storing ingredients for the long term?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berlbrew

Reaction score
Today was the Massachusetts 10% sale day at AHS! (finally!) And so I made sure to take advantage as much as I could and order ingredients for my next 3 batches.

I've never bought this much grain and extract at once and it occured to me that freshness might be an issue. If I don't plan on brewing a batch for say, 4 months, do I need to refrigerate or freeze any ingredients like milled grains, hop pellets, or DME? I'm willing to bet that I do...

The hops should go straight to the freezer where they will be OK for a year or more. The DME will be fine if it's kept dry. The milled grains should be used as quickly as possible as they don't keep well once milled.

-a

The hops should go straight to the freezer where they will be OK for a year or more. The DME will be fine if it's kept dry. The milled grains should be used as quickly as possible as they don't keep well once milled.

-a

+1, maybe the milled malt should go into something very air tight or better yet vaccuum packed, but it sounds like a good excuse to get more primary fermenters and brew FASTER!!!:rockin:

I don't really know how long the grain would last because mine always gets used within 30 minutes of milling. Try a google search on this forum for milled grain storage.

-a.

Again, I don't really know because I have difficulty in keeping it that long, but my base malt has a "best used by" date of 11 months after the manufacturing date. It should be kept cool (sub 80F) and dry, and away from critters.

-a.

Unmilled malt... stored in a cool, dry, pest free place? Over a year... easy. Mine is in sealed plastic bags, air tight plastic bags.

Back