Storing bulk dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedrunkdutchman

Reaction score
I was thinking about buying a 500g package of dry yeast, my only concern is whether or not there is any special concerns about storing it. Can I just get out the yeast I need for that batch, and then roll up the bag and place it back in the fridge? Or is there something else that I need to do to keep it for a long period?

I would use a zip lock bag and push as much air out of it as you can after doling some out for a batch. Keep in mind that dry yeast loses 1-2% of their viable yeast cells per month so if you keep them for a LONG time you may want to make a starter overnight just to jump start them as time goes on.

I get those 500g bricks. I have one of those swing top air tight jars I keep it in. When I need some, I grab a measuring spoon and scoop 3 - 4 teaspoons into a little container then put it back in the fridge. It normally lasts me about 18 months and instead of $3 - $5 per batch it's more like $1.00 per batch. I've never had to do anything special. No rehydration, no vacuuming, no special handling.

At the rate I brew now 500 grams would last me well over 5 years.... Plus I like to use yeast that fits the style of beer I am brewing so that would make one style of yeast in 500 grams last 2 - 3 times longer than that... or more. Not worth it for me.

But I would do FloppyKnockers procedure. Or maybe use a vacuum container??

How long will it last!if kept In A jar in the fridge? I know the single packs seem to have a year or so expiration date. This is something that I have thought of doing as well.

From personal experience, don't accidentally leave them open out of the fridge - mice love yeast. Don't accidentally leave them open in a mouldy fridge - moulds love yeast. Suddenly that cheap yeast option becomes quite expensive. So, the point of this is that if you're air-brained like I am (or if you like to drink while brewing) divide the packet up into multiple smaller packs (eg. vac sealed bags) when you first open it - that's less to lose out of a pack if something goes wrong.

I used to do lab-scale forced fermentation tests using using a brick of W34/70. Stored in a mason jar in the refrigerator. Never even sanitized the jar. After two years of using the stuff I did a viability and contamination check to see how it held up. It was something like 70-80% viable and there was no counts of lacto or pedio in the resulting beer. Dry yeast is hardy stuff.

I still don't like using it over liquid, but I'd not be too concerned about it going bad if opened and stored with some care.

How long will it last!if kept In A jar in the fridge? I know the single packs seem to have a year or so expiration date. This is something that I have thought of doing as well.
This method works fine for me with baker’s yeast, and it should be fine for brewer’s yeast. Just be sure the spoon/scoop you use to get it out of the jar is clean and dry.

This method works fine for me with baker’s yeast, and it should be fine for brewer’s yeast. Just be sure the spoon/scoop you use to get it out of the jar is clean and dry.
how longdo you think it will keep for? With doing the math, it equals to about 42 11.5g packages. For me as of right now, that will last me 2-3 years. But that might be changing.

how longdo you think it will keep for? With doing the math, it equals to about 42 11.5g packages. For me as of right now, that will last me 2-3 years. But that might be changing.
I’ve got a jar in the fridge that is at least a year old, still every active, and when I made the purchase it was a bag of red mill that was reduced because it was near expiration. You could break up the brick pack into a few small jars and use one at a time preventing the entire amount from the effects of humidity as you go into it for each batch. Dry yeast has longevity I have used packets a year past their expiration date with no problem. Just keep it in the fridge.

Latest posts

Back