Storebought Purified drinking water with added minerals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonmohno

Reaction score
Got some of this and tried reading the online water report but it is really vague because of the different sources so it lists things like ND-8 or 5-57. So i dont know exactly how much of what is in it. It has Cal, Mag and sodium bicarbonate added for taste. From what ive read on the report it looks pretty low.Like i said it gives only ranges but even the highs on those are low according to brewing range.
Im making a porter- should i bother with adding anything? I plan on reading my mash ph and adjusting if neccessary though. Im assuming this water is origionally better for a darker ale?And probably a pilsner?

For something like a porter you will want to raise the R.A. and raise your calcium. Add some CaCO3. Download Palmer's spreadsheet and punch in the numbers you have.

Can you get your tap water checked instead and cut it with distilled or RO water? That's what I do depending on the beer.

I don't really trust spring water or purified water since they can change sources and purified doesn't really have a set definition. I would rather know exactly what's in the water.

Can you get your tap water checked instead and cut it with distilled or RO water? That's what I do depending on the beer.

I don't really trust spring water or purified water since they can change sources and purified doesn't really have a set definition. I would rather know exactly what's in the water.

+1. I was going to say that. If you are brewing something that dark, why would you not use tap water? How bad is your water?

I just installed a new faucet,so now i can get an undersink filter or maybe one that attaches to the faucet. The water is not bad we drink it filtered from a filler at the grocery store. Ive noticed the smell of cholorine from running bath water in our unvented upstairs,you can really smell it. I have a shower filter though its just as bad to breath it as it is to absorb it not to mention drink it.
Looks like the ph was a bit low on my mash, i added a tiny bit of baking soda and it was more in range. I got it near 5.2 mash temp

Back