Store Bought RO Water with Minerals Added for Taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slayer021175666

Reaction score
Went to the dollar store and they were out of my usual distilled water. I bought some Silver Falls brand Purified drinking water that was there, instead. Got it home and it says its RO water with minerals added for taste. My purpose is for yeast storage in the fridge. I drank some and it tastes right. Any reason I shouldn't use it in my yeast jars?
Thanks

I figured as much. Thought I'd run it past the forum and see what folks had to say about it, though. Thank You, MaxStout!

The best yeast storage water includes a modest dose of magnesium. I can’t recall the dose, but it should be mentioned in an article on the Bru’n Water website.

Went to the dollar store and they were out of my usual distilled water. I bought some Silver Falls brand Purified drinking water that was there, instead. Got it home and it says its RO water with minerals added for taste. My purpose is for yeast storage in the fridge. I drank some and it tastes right. Any reason I shouldn't use it in my yeast jars?
Thanks
If you like the taste of the water then there's no issue brewing with it. The two beers I made before buying water salts and such tasted good, and that's with Cincinnati water which isn't horrible but is generally hard. It's only an issue when you want to try and perfect your beer.

Just buy a cheap TDS meter (amazon, etc.). Then you can test it fast and get a pretty good idea what is in it. I buy cheap 4 gal jugs of RO water and it tests at a very low mineral content on my TDS meter which allows me to use it as virtually distilled water and add Mg or whatever is needed for your purpose.

Back