Stone to layoff employees

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Around here, even bottled AB products are 8 bucks a six pack (Michelobe)
Sam Adams are 8-9 a sixer pre-tax and IMHO the best deal on craft brew is Boulevard and they are over 8 after tax.
My point is that ten a sixer isn't too outrageous.
But there is an old saying......"Any item is only worth what you can suckeer somebody into paying for it." If you feel that ten dollars is too much for their product, don't buy it. If you do feel that it is a fair price by all means go ahead and buy it.

I've been meaning to comment back in on this point, so thanks for the reminder!

I can get Sam Adams, Leinenkugel, and Schlafly (when it's on sale) for less than $10 where I'm at. $10 is common here, and that includes Sierra Nevada, Oskar Blues, and what ever else they have on the shelf. It seems to me that $10 a sixer has become really standard, but if folks are getting better deals, more power to them.

With that said, I'm also seeing an increasing number priced even higher! Ballast Point's Sculpin seems to have broken a ceiling, and other brands are following them up.

Around here Sierra Torpedo is $15/12 pack. That's the best deal around. Stone runs $10 and over for 6, but most other good stuff runs between $8 and $10 for a 6 pack. Other than Abita, the local beers such as NOLA and Urban South and are usually 9 or 10. I'm a fan of NOLA brewery, but when I see stores charging $10 for NOLA Brown I'm calling shenanigans.

Interesting read. Thanks for posting. What I got out of it was that Stone is seeing pressure from InBev and the like, and I can see that in my local stores, as some delicious brews from places like Elysian are showing up, not to mention contract brewers like Green Flash supplying the East Coast with delicious Alpine offerings. That's stiff competition to go with all the other fine IPAs out there. Seems that the market is getting saturated with great beers. My fear is that great IPAs will start sitting on shelves, though I think SOMEONE out there might be thinking about this finally. I noticed that one of my favorite IPAs, Firestone Walker's Double Jack used to sit on TB's shelves. A few weeks ago, their shelf space was greatly reduced and they had very fresh (week old!) sixers, of which I bought one. This week, the shelf was empty. Could it be that the big chains are finally seeing the light on the "IPA problem"? Also noticing a lot more local brews on the shelf...this has GOT to be putting pressure on the bigger, more national breweries like Stone, who are IPA-centric.

Second thing I took from this was the severance package was pretty nice. Look, if you have ever been to San Diego, brewing jobs seem to be on every street corner. My guess is these folks just made bank and are going to get picked up by one of the thousand breweries in the area. Change is NOT always a bad thing!!

Stone is still a huge employer and I suspect they will continue to grow, but face it they grew REALLY fast. They have the airport location, the original one in Escondido, and the one in Liberty Station. On top of that, a huge move in Germany (which my German friends are praising!!) and the East Coast hookup in Richmond. They have also made some (IMHO) mistakes along the way, reformulating beers I loved to be something I don't (Ruination 2, I am looking at you!).

Finally, the market. There are so many new breweries, more coming each day, that will cut away at a national breweries share of the market. In this area, which I would not exactly call a beer mecca, there seems to be a new brewery popping up every couple of months. Places like Seattle seem to have a brewery on every block. Local is making a huge push, and those of us that like fresh will patronize them as long as they make quality beers. Interesting times...can be a curse for a brewery. Cheers!

Interesting read. Thanks for posting. What I got out of it was that Stone is seeing pressure from InBev and the like, and I can see that in my local stores, as some delicious brews from places like Elysian are showing up, not to mention contract brewers like Green Flash supplying the East Coast with delicious Alpine offerings. That's stiff competition to go with all the other fine IPAs out there. Seems that the market is getting saturated with great beers. My fear is that great IPAs will start sitting on shelves, though I think SOMEONE out there might be thinking about this finally. I noticed that one of my favorite IPAs, Firestone Walker's Double Jack used to sit on TB's shelves. A few weeks ago, their shelf space was greatly reduced and they had very fresh (week old!) sixers, of which I bought one. This week, the shelf was empty. Could it be that the big chains are finally seeing the light on the "IPA problem"? Also noticing a lot more local brews on the shelf...this has GOT to be putting pressure on the bigger, more national breweries like Stone, who are IPA-centric.

Second thing I took from this was the severance package was pretty nice. Look, if you have ever been to San Diego, brewing jobs seem to be on every street corner. My guess is these folks just made bank and are going to get picked up by one of the thousand breweries in the area. Change is NOT always a bad thing!!

Stone is still a huge employer and I suspect they will continue to grow, but face it they grew REALLY fast. They have the airport location, the original one in Escondido, and the one in Liberty Station. On top of that, a huge move in Germany (which my German friends are praising!!) and the East Coast hookup in Richmond. They have also made some (IMHO) mistakes along the way, reformulating beers I loved to be something I don't (Ruination 2, I am looking at you!).

Finally, the market. There are so many new breweries, more coming each day, that will cut away at a national breweries share of the market. In this area, which I would not exactly call a beer mecca, there seems to be a new brewery popping up every couple of months. Places like Seattle seem to have a brewery on every block. Local is making a huge push, and those of us that like fresh will patronize them as long as they make quality beers. Interesting times...can be a curse for a brewery. Cheers!

Don't know if you heard. Firestone is discontinuing Double Jack��. It
Might be available as a seasonal though at their pubs. Apparently they noticed a lot of their beer is sitting on the shelves and it is not as fresh as they intended. They are trying to put a positive spin on it but I have my doubts.

Sad, but inevitable and I expect we will see more of this along with increased pace of buyouts by the big conglomerates.

Stone was cutting edge 10 years ago, but the trend toward "hyper local" and the overall complete saturation of the shelf space with all of the other guys must be doing some serious damage to their market share.

Right now, people are turning away from the big craft brands that are really seen as "stale" now. Think about what is really popular - the tiny breweries with limited distribution turning out the turbid hop juice offerings they call beer. Beers like Stone Ruination or FW Double Jack are seen as passé, despite the fact that they are really great beers. If interest drops in your core lineup, it is hard to make that up with one-offs and specialty brews at the scale these guys are attempting to operate at.

I have not been impressed with whats coming out of Stone over the last 2 years...their Stone Farking Stout this year was horrible (Loved the bottle design though so it make a great drinking glass once I cut the top off with my Kinka cutter) and tasted like I was drinking liquid charcoal. I took 3 sips and dumped it.

Around here in NC, its not that they are that expensive to buy, there are just better options on the shelf (and even better options in my keezer that I personally make).

In regards to the quality @Stone, I don't expect their beer to get better with Koch leaving the CEO perch and I would not be surprised if they are priming for a sell-off.
Time to trim the fat and run the business like a typical ****ty corporate business and push quantity, not quality so MillerCoors/AB/Inbev/Constellation will snap you up for a boatload of cash.

:off:
Don't know if you heard. Firestone is discontinuing Double Jack��. It
Might be available as a seasonal though at their pubs. Apparently they noticed a lot of their beer is sitting on the shelves and it is not as fresh as they intended. They are trying to put a positive spin on it but I have my doubts.

Say it ain't so!! Oh well, it was hard to get fresh on the East Coast anyhow. Thanks for the heads up!

Sad, but inevitable and I expect we will see more of this along with increased pace of buyouts by the big conglomerates.

Stone was cutting edge 10 years ago, but the trend toward "hyper local" and the overall complete saturation of the shelf space with all of the other guys must be doing some serious damage to their market share.

Right now, people are turning away from the big craft brands that are really seen as "stale" now. Think about what is really popular - the tiny breweries with limited distribution turning out the turbid hop juice offerings they call beer.

"Hyper local" I saw that term too. I'm assuming they mean "local" as opposed to "regional".

Also I agree with you, people are turning away from the big craft brands. They have been for years. Sam Adams, Yuengling, Sierra Nevada, etc. They all seem like giants of yesteryear and not cutting edge.

[Onion on belt]I remember when Zombie Dust was cutting edge. Now it seems like all the others who followed or copied it.[/Onion on belt]

Also I agree with you, people are turning away from the big craft brands. They have been for years. Sam Adams, Yuengling, Sierra Nevada, etc. They all seem like giants of yesteryear and not cutting edge.

I should add that I still drink the "Brands of Yesteryear" every now and again. Usually seasonal that I loved that got me hooked to craft beer more than a decade ago.

Stone is one that I never seem to like. I don't care for IPAs in general, though. It seems like most new beers are IPAs or Imperial something (a strong, hoppy beer). I think Stone is running up against the fact that they aren't the only ones making these right now.

It's funny how quickly cutting edge becomes old hat.

I should add that I still drink the "Brands of Yesteryear" every now and again. Usually seasonal that I loved that got me hooked to craft beer more than a decade ago.

As do I. For me, though, I usually trend back to the old favorites (Bass, Pilsner Urquell, Hoegarten) when I see the shelves saturated in oak aged, grapefruit, moose sputum, chili, imperial madness. I am not saying all the obscurities are bad, some are fantastic. It's just that when one does it right, everybody tries to take a spin.

I just want someone to make good malty beers that are 5% or less, under 30 IBU unless it's a stout. Ambers, reds, pales, blondes, stouts, browns. For variety, they could make Christmas ale at higher ABV and even hoppier. They could make farmhouse styles for the summer.

I know, they wouldn't make any money because they're not extreme.

Newcastle has one standard beer, and in recent years has done 3 or maybe 4 seasonals - blonde, red, and "black." But their seasonals are only out for a couple of months.

I just want someone to make good malty beers that are 5% or less, under 30 IBU unless it's a stout. Ambers, reds, pales, blondes, stouts, browns. For variety, they could make Christmas ale at higher ABV and even hoppier. They could make farmhouse styles for the summer.

I know, they wouldn't make any money because they're not extreme.

Newcastle has one standard beer, and in recent years has done 3 or maybe 4 seasonals - blonde, red, and "black." But their seasonals are only out for a couple of months.

Little egypt in carbondale IL. Small operations, but the mild, red, grisette, and cream ale are fantastic low abv low ibu options. Great malt backbone, good use of hops. His APA is top tier too.

I could enjoy a few more Scottish Ales on the store shelves. Had one this spring and it was very tasty. Can't seem to find much in my area.

I should probably tweak a recipe the way I like it and brew my own. Or is that just crazy?

I could enjoy a few more Scottish Ales on the store shelves. Had one this spring and it was very tasty. Can't seem to find much in my area.

I should probably tweak a recipe the way I like it and brew my own. Or is that just crazy?

Talk about coincidence. Just brewed a second batch of scottish ale as the first one was so popular that even non beer people were loving it.

Man, craft brewers are a fickle bunch. They don't want big beer to take over, but when one of the largest true "craft" breweries shakes things up with a new CEO and a small amount of layoffs to remain competitive, they turn their backs. They want the new and weird with the hype, not the ones that have grown to success over the years due to their merits as a brewer. As soon as a small brewer gets successful, they get shunned because they "sold-out" and "they aren't as good as they used to be." That kind of mindset of only wanting the trendy new small breweries will lead to the death of the craft scene more than ABInBev's tactics I feel. If not for Stone's distribution services, we likely wouldn't have a lot of the successful So Cal breweries make it as far (The Bruery took off much quicker once they got in on Stone's distribution network). In the current landscape of beer, the only way craft is going to survive is with a business savvy mindset including teamwork among craft breweries. Common ways I can think about that are diversifying (opening more and varied locations), teaming up with other craft breweries (distribution network, collaboration brews/spaces, etc), and running a lean business (layoffs when necessary). I can see Stone needing to "trim the fat" in their home territory where they built their business now that someone who has less emotional attachment to all the employees has taken the lead. Is that a tough mindset, sure, but again, if you want to keep from being forced out of the business, you have to get tough. As has been said, that SD/So Cal market is INSANELY rich in brewing jobs, I doubt anyone in the industry who's worth their salt is going to have a tough time finding a new job with Stone on their resume.

Now, a few dumb things i've read that need to be addressed:
- Opening their gastropub in Escondido means they need to sell a lot of beer to cover it. You must never have been there, because I'm pretty sure the place easily supports itself. I have never been able to eat there without waiting a considerable time, except for lunch on a weekday, and the place is big. It is always popular, they have good beer on tap, and a fantastic spot. I doubt they need their bottle sales to pay it off, it's paid for itself already I would venture to guess.
- Their beers suck, no wonder That's personal preference that I can't change, but as far as big craft goes, I'd say they are consistently a good offering that is found in many, many areas, and enjoyed by the masses. Is it the best/weirdest/newest? No, but you don't turn into a worldwide company by doing that, you mass produce beers that appeal to many, build brand recognition and make a decent beer that will sell reasonably well in many markets and make it consistently. You then use your earnings from this to make your experimental beers for local distribution while working to make that next big mass-accepted beer.
- They laid people off, so they must be doing poorly because of management, and only the good folks got let go. If they never hired this new a-hole, they could have paid those people for a lifetime Yikes.... In this bigger game of business, you need someone who knows how to make a brand successful on this new, bigger, tougher playing field. If someone was the best in their job, it's unlikely they were let go unless that position was unnecessary, meaning the ones that are laid off are usually the ones that are the lower-performing employees. In an area like SD, there's no room for that: It's like the job market in a college town - businesses have their pick of the litter, the less successful will be quickly weeded out.
- I can get XXXX beer for less here Who cares what you can get for what price, we aren't running a cost survey here. Local will likely be cheaper for comparable no matter what, that's what happens when you have to ship a beer across the country. If their sales aren't up to par, I'm pretty sure they'd adjust it to match the market. Enough people must be buying it at a higher price for them to be profitable.

There's plenty more silly trains of thought in here, but even this is far more than was necessary, but oh well.

They really do need to work on making more beers like 805 (as much as i hate to say it) to grow their business I feel, but they've always been hop heads, and that's where they want to make their mark. That's their business decision, and one they aren't really willing to bend on to grow their company for the reason of straying from their beliefs. With times getting more competitive, I wouldn't be surprised if that changes, just as Cantillon had to start making back-sweetened lambics to remain afloat back in their earlier days due to market demands, despite despising the style on principle.

/rant off/

@christyle, I've been trying to think of a nicer way to say that. There are a lot of blue collar heroes in here (I don't mean that in a sarcastic or demeaning way; I just can't think of a better term).

I do think this has become the more interesting part of the thread, and I'm curious to hear people's thoughts.

If these layoffs mean Stone remains a successful business, grows, and employs more people in the long run, does that make these layoffs okay?

What if it was your business and you had to make this choice? Could you let people go to give you an opportunity to grow?

What if it was cut or close? Would you try to scrape by and risk the hatchet, or would you make a small, quick cut to try to dig yourself out of a hole?

I don't know if there's many wrong answers. I approve of what Stone is doing, but I understand some folks are feeling some pain.

I fully agree with what they're doing too, if it's what it seems: Cutting to increase growth, I just didn't want to sugarcoat it, haha. I'm fully aware they are tough decisions I likely wouldn't be able to do myself, that's likely why they brought in a new CEO, he doesn't have the personal connection, just the bottom line in mind. There are a lot of lazy people at my job that get ahead for all the wrong reasons, so my tolerance for poor performers has decreased greatly in the last few years.

I think in the long run, it will likely make Stone stronger and increase growth, but maybe not in the physical area people were laid off in. Again, I don't think there is a shortage for many of the people's talents in SD, as the local scene is still growing at an astonishing rate it would seem. Stone just had to cut some people to continue to remain competitive, while a newer brewery is likely looking to hire to grow themselves. For many of your comments, if Stone was the only gig in town for people it would be a tough pill to swallow, but I don't think people realize how many brewery-related jobs are in the SD area...there's nearly a brewery on every block, it's insane. I hit a new one nearly every time I'm down there, which is fairly often.

Other articles about the layoff's put the number at somewhere between 50-75 employees, out of a workforce of about 1100. Stone's website does have 18 jobs listed open right now. Some of those laid off point to the opening of the Virginia and Berlin breweries and said the profits from those operations haven't met expected goals.
Massive debt and over capacity compared to actual sales will result in downsizing at some point. I'm waiting for the craft beer price bubble to burst as the big players try to boost market share. Goose Island IPA at $6.99 a 6 pack is leading the way at the moment but no one else seems to be following. Basic economic theory says prices should be falling with all the competition and over capacity. but it just isn't happening. I'm skeptical it will, the big players could initiate a brutal price war and drive competition out of the market, but they just don't seem to be interested in doing that.
Stone costs $10-17 a six pack around here and I rarely spend that much on commercial beer, and if I do, I don't buy Stone.
I would like to go to San Diego someday and go to their brew pub there, It looks very inviting.

From what I understand most alcohol in Canada is more expensive but that's partially due to higher taxes. Is the $18.90 in Canadian dollars? If so it'd be around $15 in USD. Still more expensive but just saying.

Alcohol in Colorado is quite a bit more expensive than in California. I think that is due to liquor laws in Colorado. They can generally only sell 3.2% in grocery stores due to liquor licensing. Colorado doesn't allow chains to sell liquor in all stores so there is only one or two locations of a certain chain that is allowed to sell liquor and beer that isn't 3.2%.
Yeah, it's Canadian dollars. And our taxes on alcohol are high. But we do also have a fair amount of American imports that are substantially less in price. For example, a six of SNPA is $15.40, Lagunitas IPA goes for $15.55, and Smuttynose IPA costs $15.95. So even compared to other American imports, Stone is pretty darn pricey

"The Richmond staff has been minimally impacted by Stone’s recent restructuring."

You don't even have to read between the lines when you read the Virginia press release - it clearly reaffirms their commitments to meeting their expected (i.e. Committed) hiring plans that were made as part of the financing deal they worked out with the city for the land and improvements.

Anytime there's a significant change in leadership there's an inevitable (and most likely needed) culture change too. And not to be cynical, but maybe a part of this was also motivated by removing people that didn't fit the new culture. The beer writer Brian Hernandez, formerly of Stone for many years, called out the "arrogant" culture of the Escondido location when he was reviewing the Richmond brewery and tasting room. Paraphrasing he said something like it was nice to see that the arrogant attitude and culture of the escondido location hadn't yet come to Richmond.

Edit: here's the quote and source: "Best of all—and I mean no disrespect to fans of Arrogant Bastard Ale (it was my first craft-beer, after all)—none of the “Arrogance” has settled into the Richmond facility as of yet. There is no leftover air of you’re not worthy pompousness that needs to be wiped clean. The roughly 60 RVA employees are mostly brand-new and extremely excited to be part of this venture, as well they should be. That leads to a great level-of-service and overall friendliness that I very much enjoyed."

http://www.westcoastersd.com/2016/08/17/beer-touring-stone-brewing-in-richmond-virginia/

I mean, if that's not an indictment of their culture...

And Brandon is not one to burn bridges in this community as he's actively working in it as a writer and marketing manager for two other breweries since his time at Stone.

Back in the 90s when I lived in the DC area, a buddy of mine would bring back a case of Yuengling back for when he went home to PA for the weekend. I thought it was great for the price, especially the porter.

They just started selling it here in Louisiana, and the marketing blitz is rivaled only by that of Jameson. The fact that nowadays I consider Yuengling to be a somewhat better, more expensive alternative to Schlitz, my macro of choice when I have to pick one, along with the fact that an icon like Stone is getting hated on, are testaments to the fact that this is the best time in history to be a beer enthusiast with so many outstanding products to choose from. I think that becoming a little jaded is inevitable.

Hmmm...I won't profess to know much about things like this but I can spot a good coincidence a mile away. Stone makes this move the same week that AB InBev's acquisition of SAB Miller is approved and Northern brewer buyout is announced.

So, for those looking to identify reasons and lay blame, there's an easy outlet to blame AB InBev. Seeing as how I think their buyout of Northern brewer is both saddening and disturbing, I am perfectly happy to "blame" this on AB Inbev too!

I believe that is where the issue lies. There are so many choices, why keep buying the same beer? I know I don't. I like trying new beers.

I would agree 100%..The shelves at even the grocery stores are so full of different craft beers, they cannot keep it all cold so they line the shelf and end caps behind the cold beer with the "overflow" craft beer that they cannot jam into the coolers.

I really believe craft beer is peaking in alot of big(er) city markets which is not a bad thing, but sooner or later craft beer saturation and the rising costs of buying craft beer at the store (6'er of pumpkin beer is almost $2-3 more than that it was last year which is insane) will ultimately pop the bubble.

I admit I do not buy nearly as much craft beer as I did a year ago because of the recent price hikes for craft beer and just lackluster offerings/brews.
I find myself drinking more and more of my own homebrew (which means brewing more which I dont mind at all) as its honestly as good or better than what I can get on the shelf and costs ALOT less to make at current prices.

I also know a few folks (myself included) that have backtracked on opening a craft brewery for the time being until I see how the craft beer industry shakes out in the next year or two especially where I live (Charlotte, NC) as a new brewery is popping up almost every month so the craft beer market is already flooded here as it is.

I want to be sure I have a sound business plan/funding/and really be able to turn a profit more sooner than later that is sustainable, not fly by night due to that saturation if and when I decide to pull the trigger on going pro.

"turning out the turbid hop juice offerings they call beer"

Thank god I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Don't worry, we'll keep off your lawn.

Breweries wouldn't be selling out of the stuff daily, rapidly expanding, or making more of it if it wasn't good. Things change. You don't have to embrace it, but I do picture a wrinkled old guy whenever I hear someone make up an opinion purely based on visuals.

Basic economic theory says prices should be falling with all the competition and over capacity. but it just isn't happening.

That’s because there is increasing demand for the product. It also has a limited shelf life.

I'm skeptical it will, the big players could initiate a brutal price war and drive competition out of the market, but they just don't seem to be interested in doing that.

Prices are “sticky”. If you traditionally price your beer at 10.99 per 6 pack and then slash your price to 7.99 per six pack there will be a lot of consumer resistance to you moving the price back to 10.99.

I'm waiting for the craft beer price bubble to burst as the big players try to boost market share. Goose Island IPA at $6.99 a 6 pack is leading the way at the moment but no one else seems to be following. Basic economic theory says prices should be falling with all the competition and over capacity. but it just isn't happening. I'm skeptical it will, the big players could initiate a brutal price war and drive competition out of the market, but they just don't seem to be interested in doing that.

Goose Island IPA at $6.99 is a good deal. But... (*GASP*) you're drinking an AB/Inbev product you bastard!!!

Anyways, I don't see a price war. It would be bad for the market as a whole. The price war could only be initiated by big beer to be successful and it would simply put some of the smaller non-players out of business. The non-players aren't of concern to big beer and those breweries gaining market share are simply bought by big beer.

This reminds me of when Coke employees tried to sell the recipe to Pepsi. Pepsi was smart enough to realize they could make the coke recipe but they'd have to sell it cheaper than coke for people to buy it. This would drive soda prices down and wouldn't put coke out of business it would just hurt the carbonated beverage industry as a whole. So they took the opportunity for good press and "goodwill" to oust the employees trying to sell trade secrets. Pepsi comes out looking like the hero when they knew the information was worthless to them.

Goose Island IPA at $6.99 is a good deal. But... (*GASP*) you're drinking an AB/Inbev product you bastard!!!

Anyways, I don't see a price war. It would be bad for the market as a whole. The price war could only be initiated by big beer to be successful and it would simply put some of the smaller non-players out of business. The non-players aren't of concern to big beer and those breweries gaining market share are simply bought by big beer.

This reminds me of when Coke employees tried to sell the recipe to Pepsi. Pepsi was smart enough to realize they could make the coke recipe but they'd have to sell it cheaper than coke for people to buy it. This would drive soda prices down and wouldn't put coke out of business it would just hurt the carbonated beverage industry as a whole. So they took the opportunity for good press and "goodwill" to oust the employees trying to sell trade secrets. Pepsi comes out looking like the hero when they knew the information was worthless to them.

I dont see a price war occuring either..if anything its a price hike from the craft beer prices I am seeing around here..Even Sam Adams 12 packs went up $2 this past year in my local Walmart which is surprising.

I have also stopped buying ANY craft beer that is more than $8-$10 for a bomber..I am seeing prices here for a bomber of Jolly Pumpkin that is close to $20 a bomber..that frigging nuts but the bottle shop that has them cannot keep bottles in stock so someone is paying those prices.

I am also seeing the local breweries try to sell their beer by the growler from between $20 -$25 a growler (cheapo growler included in that so there is that) but its just very average beer for that price.
The "special editions/ABVs" or "Seasonals" go for even more which is nuts.

I love to try new beers, but if prices continue on this upward track, I will continue to try less of them and just focus on making even more of my own to consume..

As for the elephant in the room... With the exception of the stock market our economy is not doing very well to put it mildly.

There was just an article in the Journal a couple of days ago about what they referred to as the biggest shakeup in the restaurant industry in a long time.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/restaurant-chains-get-burned-by-overexpansion-new-rivals-1476649241

I'm a Longshoreman and work at a port on the east coast and I (and my wallet) have noticed a sharp drop in shipping over the last 6-12 months. Trade is a so called "early economic indicator" and it has been trending down for more than a year now. This is never good news.
http://www.jordantimes.com/opinion/fahed-fanek/unpromising-early-economic-indicators

As James Carville famously said in 1992 "It's the economy stupid".
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/It's_the_economy,_stupid

But don't take my word for it, I'm just a stupid Longshoreman who lives in Browntown.

You know, I'm probably completely wrong in my opinion because the overwhelming majority of newscasters tells us every day how great this economy is.

I'm not a big conspiracy theory person and I'm no economist, but after reading some pretty believable stuff about how the Consumer Price Index has been manipulated I'm starting to think we're being hoodwinked.

I fail to see how so many people are drawing so much from so little.

19-conspiracy-theories-that-turned-out-to-be-true-u1.jpg

Actually I'm not drinking the Goose Island IPA, but I noticed the price as I was looking around for what was on sale. Ended up getting a case of Goose Island Summertime Kolsch for $23.99, and have drunk some of that, so I guess I am an Industrial beer drinking sellout to low price Bastard.
I agree we aren't seeing a price war yet, but if ABInbev can gain market share (and shelf space) with more reasonable prices, AND new brands continue to enter the market at the $10.95 price point, we could EVENTUALLY see some real price competition. Local ads in Today's food section has Sam Adams for $14.95/12 pack and some similar prices.
No, a real price war probably won't occur anytime soon, but if it ever does, there could be multiple big name bankrupt breweries.

Back