Stone IPA Extract Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VbrewV

Reaction score
Hi fellow brewers. Started brewing in 2012 but took a 2 year hiatus and just started back up. Been wanting to try a Stone IPA. Saw a few different recipes online but when I went to local home brew store I was recommended to try the recipe off of BYO magazine. Here's what I used and the process so far:

5# light dried malt extract
1.625# light liquid malt extract

1# 2-row pale malt
1# crystal malt (15L: not available so substituted w/ 22L)

WLP002 (not available so substituted w/ Wyeast 1968)

0.5 oz Magnum hops (60 min)
0.64 oz Perle hops (60 min)
2 oz Centennial hops (15 min)
1 oz Centennial hops (dry hopping)
0.5 oz Chinook hops (dry hopping)
1 tsp Irish Moss (15 min)

OG reading: 1.062
Noticed first CO2 release approx. 4 hrs after pitched. Will update process.
Not sure if I should dry hop directly into my primary b/c when I initially added the wort to my primary, I used cheese cloth and strainer to rid as much solids as possible. Any advice? thx.

Hey I'm new to all this just did my 2nd extract brew the other day. I wanted to try a recipe and saw yours and wanted to try it but have a few questions.
1. Is it cheaper buying all the separate ingredients opposed to buying a complete kit from like say brewers best?

2. Do you bring your water to a boil first then add the 5# light dried malt extract and the 1.625# light liquid malt extract?

3. Then adding 1# 2-row pale malt and 1# crystal malt to steep? How long?

4.Then after steeping you start your 60 minutes and start to add your hops right?

5. Then add Wyeast 1968 once chilled to about 70 deg. ?

sorry for all the questions, like I said I'm very new to all this but want to learn more.

Latest posts

Back