Double IPA Stone Enjoy By IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottland

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP007
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
8 Days @ 64F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 Days @ 68F
Tasting Notes
Absolutely amazing. One of the best beers I\\'ve made.
6 Gallons
8.25lbs English Pale Malt (3.5L)
8.25lbs 2-row
1lb Dextrose
Mash at 147* for 75min

Stone gives the exact hops they use. I substituted a few based on what I have, what I want to use up, and what I feel won't make a difference. You'll see the hop Stone uses in parenthesis.

2oz Belma (Calypso) - Mash Hopped
10ml Hop Extract @ 90min
1oz ea. Simcoe, Belma (Delta), Northern Brewer(Target), Amarillo @ 15
1.25oz ea. Citra, Cascade, Centennial (Motueka) @ Flameout
Whirlpool for 20min
WLP007 - Dry English Ale Yeast
Dry Hop 1: 1.5oz ea Nelson Sauvin & Galaxy
Dry Hop 2: 1.5oz ea Nelson Sauvin & Galaxy

This beer has a million hops, so let's cover the important parts. First, you absolutely need Galaxy and Nelson for the dry hop. The beer won't be the same without it. Secondly, as you can see, I substituted some of the late kettle hops for what I had on hand. It didn't make a difference. Feel free to use the exact hop Stone uses if you can find it.

Next, the hop extract isn't critical. You're targeting 20AAU at that 90min addition, so if you can't find any hop extract, just add the appropriate amount of a clean bittering hop. (e.g. 1.18oz of Warrior @ 17% AA)

The grist is pretty simple. Mash as long as you need/want to ensure full conversion. 75-90min would be recommended.

I allowed the hops to steep hot in the kettle for 20min before I started chilling it. Also make sure to oxygenate the wort well. Get a big healthy starter of WLP007 going. You're looking for around 300B cells. Then ferment on the cooler end for WLP007. I started at 63-64, then nudged it up to 68 once fermentation slowed down.

Be very, very careful of oxidizing this beer once fermentation is over. I racked this into a keg to dry hop it so that I could purge the keg with CO2. I let each hop addition sit for 3-4 days, then finally kegged the beer.

This turns out absolutely identical to Enjoy By IPA. If you're a fan of the beer, and you can source the hops, I'd highly, highly recommend brewing this.

DSC_7580.jpg

DSC_7582.jpg

DSC_7583.jpg

Any thoughts on whether or not it would be worth it to do an extract version of this?

You totally could, as there isn't a complicated grain bill. I'd say just use enough straight extra light DME to get you to 1.080-1.081

My only concern would be how fermentable of a wort that would create. So with that said, I'd use more dextrose to compensate. Say 1.5-1.75lbs. Just adjust your extract accordingly to hit an OG of 1.081

Also, if you really wanted to get fancy, you could use 50/50 extra light DME and Marris otter extract. I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make, so I doubt it's critical.

I'd say it's worth trying, this beer is amazing.

I love this beer and the recipe looks great. Might have to take a stab at it. I am curious about the hop extract? I have seen it come up in a few IIPA recipes lately. Are you using the Hopshot brand? I want to give them a try because there pretty cheap in comparison and it would leave behind less sludge to deal with in the kettle. Seems like its working well for people also.

Everything that I have read about mash hopping seems to point to it being a waste of hops and steer in the opposite direction. Although I am willing to give it a try for this beer. I think I will put them in the sparge water on top of the grain bed, is this similar to the technique you used?

Most importantly your clarity is amazing!! Did you use any kind of filtering or just time and temp?

Cheers!

I love this beer and the recipe looks great. Might have to take a stab at it. I am curious about the hop extract? I have seen it come up in a few IIPA recipes lately. Are you using the Hopshot brand? I want to give them a try because there pretty cheap in comparison and it would leave behind less sludge to deal with in the kettle. Seems like its working well for people also.

Everything that I have read about mash hopping seems to point to it being a waste of hops and steer in the opposite direction. Although I am willing to give it a try for this beer. I think I will put them in the sparge water on top of the grain bed, is this similar to the technique you used?

Most importantly your clarity is amazing!! Did you use any kind of filtering or just time and temp?

Cheers!

I just used generic hop extract. It's mostly all the same stuff. I've used hotshots and no-name stuff interchangeably.

The mash hopping totally seems like I waste. I only went along with it because I really need to get rid of some Belma that I'm not a huge fan of. I just tossed them in the beginning of the mash. I will say, the wort running out of the kettle was fairly hoppy, so maybe there is something to it.

As for clarity, it's British yeast, so it drops hard and fast, but I did use some gelatin to really get it crystal clear.

I plan on it. I really want to do a Scotch Ale and some sort of chocolate coconut stout and then probably the Enjoy By clone. I just brewed for the first time in over a year and now I just want to brew everything.

Where did you get the hints for this? You mention the hops that Stone used; where did this info come from?

http://blog.stonebrew.com/index.php/stone-enjoy-by-ipa/

That's all the hop info. I emailed Mitch Steele for the grist. He was kind enough to respond.

The hop amounts are correct, but I had to guess on the ratios of the 15min addition and 0min addition. The dry hop is definitely half&half as its written.

4 days on the first dose, then 3-4days on the second. You could go longer, if you wanted to.

Great! Thanks!
Not sure when I'll be brewing this, but definitely will.

I'm curious how did you treat the water you brewed with? Thanks for the recipe.

I'm curious how did you treat the water you brewed with? Thanks for the recipe.

I start with R/O. I then add gypsum and calcium chloride, and finally use some acid malt to get the pH where it needs to be.

At the end of the day my water is what you would consider middle of the road. I only start with RO because our water here in Phoneix is hard enough to walk on most of the year.

I brewed this again today with once change. I'm trying an American Yeast just for giggles. It won't exactly be 'Enjoy By', but I'm curious to see how the recipe fairs with the change.

I'm using WLP090, so this will give the US05 faithful an idea what it would taste like.

Results to follow.

Thanks again for sharing your process. I'm fairly new to home brewing. Only six batches under my belt. I too decided on RO water as a base and use the same water adjustments and acid malt to calculate mash ph. I'm wondering what PH you shoot for on a high gravy beer like this? I've read and heard conflicting information. Is there much difference between 5.2 and 5.4? Can't wait to hear how your version with Us-05 turns out.

Oh man, I just pulled my first pour of this, I accidentally kicked up a ton of trub when I was siphoning, so clarity isn't great, but this is an absolutely amazing beer!!!!! I seriously am going to get myself in trouble with this one! I might replace water with it! Thank you for the recipe, and if anyone is thinking about brewing this, DO IT!!!

The only things I did different from the recipe was use all US 2row because my LHBS didn't have English pale malt, and use Warrior @90, the only think I will do different next time is maybe kick the Warrior up to 1.25oz or so to get a little more bitter bite on it, strictly out of personal preference, but as is its perfect.

This recipe looks great.

I have a question though. With the huge amount of hops, how much actual beer do you end up with? If it is a 6 gallon batch do you have to start with a lot more water to make up for the trub loss? I haven't brewed a big ipa yet so this is new to me!

NewkyBrown said:
This recipe looks great.

I have a question though. With the huge amount of hops, how much actual beer do you end up with? If it is a 6 gallon batch do you have to start with a lot more water to make up for the trub loss? I haven't brewed a big ipa yet so this is new to me!

I'm new to this myself but from what little experience I have, I would say.
It really depends on how much beer you want to have at the end of the process. Accounting for all loss at every stage of production. This can only be accurately calculated by knowing your equipment and ingredients then adjusting the recipe size so at the end you have the volume of beer you're shooting for.
If you look at some recipes that require large dry hop additions the volume of beer absorbed by the hops is subtracted to get the final quantity.
Hope that made sense. Cheers!

You definitely lose at least 1/2 gallon to dry hop sludge.

FYI, my batch with WLP090 settled out at 1.010 for an ABV of 9.4%. It's dry hopping right now. I'll post some updates once it's in the keg

Hi everyone.

I'm still a bit of a newbie to home brewing. Stone IPA is one of my favorites for sure! Does anyone know an extract recipe for this? I haven't gotten into all grain brewing yet.

Thanks!

scottland said:
You totally could, as there isn't a complicated grain bill. I'd say just use enough straight extra light DME to get you to 1.080-1.081

My only concern would be how fermentable of a wort that would create. So with that said, I'd use more dextrose to compensate. Say 1.5-1.75lbs. Just adjust your extract accordingly to hit an OG of 1.081

Also, if you really wanted to get fancy, you could use 50/50 extra light DME and Marris otter extract. I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make, so I doubt it's critical.

I'd say it's worth trying, this beer is amazing.

Here's your answer. ;)

Hi everyone.

I'm still a bit of a newbie to home brewing. Stone IPA is one of my favorites for sure! Does anyone know an extract recipe for this? I haven't gotten into all grain brewing yet.

Thanks!

This is for Stone's "Enjoy By" IPA (really a double IPA) and not the regular IPA. Here's a recipe for the regular Stone IPA

Substitute .6# light DME for each pound of pale malt (so 6.3# in this recipe) and steep the grains as you normally would for an extract w/ specialty grains recipe.

hogwash said:
This is for Stone's "Enjoy By" IPA (really a double IPA) and not the regular IPA. Here's a recipe for the regular Stone IPA

Substitute .6# light DME for each pound of pale malt (so 6.3# in this recipe) and steep the grains as you normally would for an extract w/ specialty grains recipe.

Thank you!

Any thoughts on good substitutes for the Delta and Calypso hops? I found a vendor that has everything that I don't already have (Motueka, Citra, Nelson, Target, & Galaxy) but they don't have Delta or Calypso. I have plenty of the following: Cascade (thinking this one for the Delta maybe?), Columbus, Simcoe, Amarillo, Centennial, and Apollo. Going to use Apollo for the bittering hop.

What vendor were you able to find all those hops from?

Also, does anyone know when hop vendors typically get their new supplies? It seems like everyone is low...I know they typically harvest in September, but just wondering when the new harvest will usually hit the market.

Back