Sterling alpha acid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Z

Reaction score
I wanted to get some opinions on this.

I recently ordered some hops Yakima Valley Hops. Good folks. I've gotten hops there before. One of the packets didn't come with the sticker saying what it was and the alpha acid. I figured out that it was Sterling but I didn't know the AA so I contacted them.

They said the alpha acid was 12.4%. Isn't that extremely high for that hop? That's as high as my Magnum hops. I e-mailed them back about it and haven't heard anything yet. Could their alph acid percentage be correct?

Thanks in advance.

Yeah, 12.4% is way off the scale for that strain. Hopefully someone from YVH will straighten that out for you...

Cheers!

If they don't get back to me can I even use those hops? It'll be hard to calculate IBUs.

My last lb i got was at 12.2 AA and they're GREAT(Tony the Tiger) They have less of a bite then Saaz. I use them in all kinds of beer...Kolsch, Pils, Light lager,marzens, you get the picture. In fact since I found this hop I stopped buying Saaz.

Latest posts

Back