Steeping Technique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooMan

Reaction score
I recently brewed a batch that yielded low alcohol levels based on consumption. According to my gravity readings, I was spot on in my reduction from original to final. My only thought is I didn't extract enough sugars from my grain to allow proper fermentation and thus limited the amount of alcohol that could be produced by the yeast. I used a typical grain bag when steeping, but my questions is this:

Am I restricting the amount of sugars I can extract from my grain using a grain bag since all the grain is forced into a ball while steeping which reduces the exposure of the grain in the middle of the bag to the water? Am I better off steeping grain directly in my water without a bag and then straining the gain prior to my boil as to extract the maximum amount of sugar from the grain? Do I run the risk of altering the flavor profile of my recipe?

Thanks

M

Generally when you're steeping grain with an extract kit you're not steeping for fermentables. Mostly it's just for color & flavor. You want to make sure the steeped grain isn't "packed" in the bag. It should float fairly loosely within it. You could just throw it in & strain it out but it's easier & equally effective using a bag. Now, if you were steeping 2-row at 153F for 30 minutes you could extract some fermentables, but that's really not steeping. It's now a mini-mash. Cheers!!!

Thanks Hamiltont. You are correct in assuming I was making a partial mash (i.e. using malt extract as well), however the recipe required me to steep the grains at 153F for some time (not sure about 30 min, but somewhere close to that). It is good to know the "steeping" is mainly for aroma and flavor when using extract.

Thanks

Note that there's a difference between doing a partial mash vs extract+steeping grains.

In the partial mash method, you mash grains to get fermentable sugars (as hamiltont pointed out), and then supplement those sugars with DME or LME. In other words, you need both the mashed grain sugars AND the DME/LME to reach your original gravity.

In the extract + steeping grains you are relying solely on your DME or LME for all your fermentables and rely on the steeping grains for color and flavor. In other words, you only need the DME/LME to reach your OG.

Having said that, 30 minutes is not a typical mashing time for a full 5 gallon batch. 30 minutes is more typical of an extract+steeping grains recipe.

Also, the difference between OG and FG are an indication of your alcohol content (ABV). If you hit the OG and FG right on, then you should be right on spot with the ABV for that beer.

Back