steeping question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikes_brew

Reaction score
i was reading a post by BNVince about 1st brew and noticed that he started the steeping at temp. I have started my last 2 EX steeping at 100-110 and then brought up to temp.

Is that wrong? Are there any major conerns?
1st brew was drinkable but that was all, it was on electric stove and I never achieved a roaring boil.

2nd was on propane turkey fryer and went real well. I cracked a couple this week, even a week early they were really good.

should I wait till temp or does it matter?

thanks
mike

PS- I won pint glasses from monday night Brewery!!!!

can't wait, my brown ale will drink well in them!:mug:

You wil be fine doing it that way. Some will say you must wait till temp to add then keep it there, but really, either way works fine. Your biggest concern is making sure that you do NOT go over 170f

I have also heard people say to put them in cold, heat, and when it gets to 165F pull them out, no need to hold a temp. Since steeping is not trying to utilize any enzymes just extract color and flavor then it really doesn't matter. But, like Drunkensatyr said, don't let them go over 170F.

the best reason I can think of to put them in when the water is cooler, is simply so the grain isn't as much of a heat absorber when you add it at 150~degrees.

This one of many examples in brewing where several different techniques will produce good results. If you bag your steeping grains & put the bag in cold water, heating can result in a melted bag. [It was a learning experience.]

Back