Steeping grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpyn55

Reaction score
Ave searched many postings and am unable to fine the reason for steeping grains in 2.5 gal. Of water instead of 6 gal. Then doing a full boil is there a reason for this thanks in advance

It has to do with the ratio of grains to water. A high water to grain ration mungs up the ph and does some sort of mumbo jumbo with leeching tannins from the grain I believe. With a partial mash/grain steep, your water to grain ratio would be too high with 6 gallons of water.

So I should steep 1 lb. grain in 1.5 gal water then add to boil pot then do the full boil

So I should steep 1 lb. grain in 1.5 gal water then add to boil pot then do the full boil

For only one pound of grain, I'd probably use less than a gallon, but yes, that's the idea.

You can steep in a saucepan while you're bring the rest of the volume up to boiling temps, and then just add the liquid from your steeping grains after you're done steeping. That will make it go a little faster!

For only one pound of grain, I'd probably use less than a gallon, but yes, that's the idea.

You can steep in a saucepan while you're bring the rest of the volume up to boiling temps, and then just add the liquid from your steeping grains after you're done steeping. That will make it go a little faster!

This is exactly what I do too. Especially since I brew extract on an electric stove and it takes a while to boil 2-2.5 gals.

I've always steeped in the boil kettle. But I'm getting give this a try. Thanks for the suggestion!

Dang, you learn something new every day.

Is it bad to squeeze the excess water out of the grain bag when finished steeping, or just let it drip and then throw it out?

I've been steeping 8-16oz of specialty grains in a half gallon of water. I then pour it into the kettle and rinse the grains with another 1/2 gallon. I compress the grains a bit to push out some excess water and then toss the grains. I'm sure I could get more out of the grains but the guy at the brew shop made some analogy to adding spices to a recipe where it doesn't hurt to put a little, but if you over do it then you'll get problems.

Latest posts

Back