Steeping grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTBORN

Reaction score
Hi all,

If I'm brewing a stout and it got close to 180, very briefly, is it ruined?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers!

You didn't give much details to work from so let me guess that you are steeping grains for an extract kit, not a partial mash nor an all grain batch. If that is the case your beer will be just fine. Steeping can be done from about room temperature to boiling but the best results will happen if you keep the steep about 140 to 160.

Thanks! Btw, it's not all-grain, but it's not from a kit either. I used an online tool and selected my own grains, dry and liquid extracts, sugars, hops, and yeast. So, I'm not sure what that makes it. This is only my fourth batch brewed; the first two were straight up kits. Bottom line: I'm still very new to all this, including much of the terminology. Thanks again.

I would bet you would not be able to detect the difference if you took the grains out at 170 F or 200 F. Yes you can get some additional tannins, but I don't think they will be detectable.

Dave Line circa 1975, said to boil grain in an extract brew in his book 'Brewing beers like those you buy'. I guess it didn't make too much difference to the beers.

Thanks! Btw, it's not all-grain, but it's not from a kit either. I used an online tool and selected my own grains, dry and liquid extracts, sugars, hops, and yeast. So, I'm not sure what that makes it. This is only my fourth batch brewed; the first two were straight up kits. Bottom line: I'm still very new to all this, including much of the terminology. Thanks again.

I'd call that an extract recipe. Unless the water was alkaline, you didn't hurt a thing and even then it might not have a great impact on a stout.

Latest posts

Back