Grainfather T500 first all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etxflyer

Reaction score
Bought a used T500 that I’ve brewed a few extract kits with. I’m ready to step up to all grain but feeling a little overwhelmed and would like to see some YouTube videos to get ready but all the videos are with newer units. I realize this isn’t a big deal, it’s same process, but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions with me using this older unit. Would appreciate any tips or tricks. Cheers

Is the T500 used primarily for distilling ? Is there a heat set temp on it or just an on and off heat button?

I think David Heath used to brew with the original Grainfather so his early videos should show him brewing with it. As far as I know the T500 is the same as the G30 so all that info should apply you just have to find the old videos people were making years ago when it first came out. FWIW I have one too and it’s a great machine.
Feel free to ask any questions, once you get it figured out you’re going to love it.

Attachments

• IMG_3023.jpeg
    IMG_3023.jpeg
    806 KB · Views: 0
I think David Heath used to brew with the original Grainfather so his early videos should show him brewing with it. As far as I know the T500 is the same as the G30 so all that info should apply you just have to find the old videos people were making years ago when it first came out. FWIW I have one too and it’s a great machine.
Feel free to ask any questions, once you get it figured out you’re going to love it.
I checked those videos out and think I have the answer to my questions. Apparently my unit is 1st gen, but other than the controller, it appears the same as the later units. Thanks for the help, hopefully get to my first all grain brew after the holidays

I checked those videos out and think I have the answer to my questions. Apparently my unit is 1st gen, but other than the controller, it appears the same as the later units. Thanks for the help, hopefully get to my first all grain brew after the holidays
You can upgrade the controller if you want. I have the same GF.

And as @Whisky River said you will enjoy it.

One more question. I didn’t have the long hose that’s supposed to be attached to the recirculating arm that lays on top of the grain bed during the mash. I do have this short hose attached to an aerator that looks like it was being used in its place. This should work, no?

Attachments

• IMG_3061.jpeg
    IMG_3061.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Isn't that the standard recirculation arm with silicone tube on. White plastic bit is to spray the wort around.
That’s what it is, but I bought it all used and the longer silicone tube wasn’t with it. I guess this was what they were using to recirculate the wort during mashing

Is the T500 used primarily for distilling ? Is there a heat set temp on it or just an on and off heat button?

Is it a grain father with t500 attachment?

I'm pretty sure he is not talking about the Turbo 500 but an early model of Grainfather called the T500. Pictures from eBay including parts package which contains what the OP is looking for.

Attachments

• s-l960.png
    s-l960.png
    719.2 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l960 (1).png
    s-l960 (1).png
    766.3 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l960 (2).png
    s-l960 (2).png
    976.5 KB · Views: 0
Back