Steam Starter Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urbanmyth

Reaction score
So, I am brewing two beers this weekend: a schwarzbier and a Munich dunkel. Both will be split in half, each partition receiving either Wyeast Kolsch yeast or Wyeast Bohemian Lager yeast, which is shown to do well at ale temps, as well.

Now, I only bought a pack of each in hopes of building starters large enough to inoculate all four fermenters. Will I still need to make a massive lager starter for the Bohemian strain, even if it is going to be performing at ale temps? I already made the starters 500mL each of 1.040 wort. Will I need an another step of starter to ensure a decent pitch rate?

Your starters should be good, ramping up lager yeast to pitching numbers has a lot to do with the colder fermentation temps. If your going to ferment at ale temps you don't need such a large starter.

That's kinda what I was thinking. For the beers (both OGs are less than 1.054) I figured a small starter, just to get the yeasties awake and multiplied a bit would be sufficient.

Back