Starter for lager (WY 2206)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CDS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was planning on brewing a Märzen for my next batch using WY 2206. I've made a ton of starters for ale, but I've rarely brewed lager, and I was just on autopilot when I made this starter. I didn't even consider the colder temperature for a lager yeast. I let the 2206 sit at room temperature for about 4 hours to swell after smacking it (which it didn't really), then pitched it into my starter wort. It's been sitting on the stir plate for 24 hours now at 68F. The temperature range for 2206 is specified as 46-58°F, so: am I screwed? or should I drop the temp down 10 degrees and hope for the best, or just leave it at 68F and see what happens?

Every starter I make is at room temp. Doesn’t matter if it’s a lager or an ale.
Yup. Makes sense to me.

One time out of hundreds I spun a starter inside one of my temp controlled ferm' chambers.
The other hundreds minus that one I've done atop my uncontrolled office desk.
No discernible difference...

Cheers!

Thanks for the replies. Left it overnight at 68F and sure enough it's bubbling away - nothing crazy but definitely active.

Yeast will happily reproduce at temperatures higher than what's best for the actual fermentation.

Back