Starting first batch ever.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VisaliaIPA

Reaction score
Well today is the day. Yeast pack is ready and heating up the water for my first batch ever. Wish me luck......lol

B725F9C3-6A33-4FFC-A984-A0FC3A3908CE.jpg

Have fun! Is this your first batch of 2013 or 2014?

BTW- Love that label "May be hot". Really? A boil kettle? Go figure. It is amazing where greedy lawyers and asinine law suits have brought this country to.

Have fun! Is this your first batch of 2013 or 2014?

BTW- Love that label "May be hot". Really? A boil kettle? Go figure. It is amazing where greedy lawyers and asinine law suits have brought this country to.

First batch ever......!!!

And yes I'm glad they warned me it would be hot......lol.

First batch ever......!!!

And yes I'm glad they warned me it would be hot......lol.

Makes me think of Bill Engvall...here's your sign! :D You've been here since March of 2012,& this is your first brew?! I guess you studied for a while? Better late than never,as they say...:mug:

Makes me think of Bill Engvall...here's your sign! :D You've been here since March of 2012,& this is your first brew?! I guess you studied for a while? Better late than never,as they say...:mug:

Nah, he hasn't studied near long enough. I've been here since Nov 2009 and just brewed my first batch yesterday!

Good luck with all brew sessions. I'm only three batches in but have caught the bug for sure! My newbie recogmendation will be to purchase a propane burner if you don't already have one. I just used my Edelmetall this weekend and I was able to brew two kits in the same amount of time that it took on the stove. It's a new stove with a 32,000 BTU burner.
Have fun! Happy New Year!

Welcome to homebrewing! How did your brew day go? Share all the details!

Thanks all......well brew day went fine with only a couple of hiccups.

1-definitely need a propane burner as it took well,over an hours to boil 6gallons.

2-I had to leave the lid on the pot to get a good rolling boil. I know it's a no-no but I've got a 10 gallon pot and watched it like a hawk. No boil overs...!!

3-made sure I sanitized, sanitized, sanitized. Probably too much but better safe than sorry...lol.

4-used my wort chiller and was perplexed a little. I know it works, it's basic science but I figured the water coming out would've been a lot hotter. But it did cool the wort down to 75ish in about 20 minutes or so.

5-transferred to my fermenter and voila as of this morning I have fermentation, so must have done something right.

Now just let it sit in my closet for awhile and have patience.

I can see this hobby getting very in depth in the future....!!

Awesome congratulations to you! Sounds like you had a fun brew day and learned a lot. Only thing I'll say is that the whole no-cover thing isn't only for the boil over risk, it's also because when you boil the wort certain things like DMS (dimethyl sulfide I think) needs to be evaporated out which is something I hear can add a cooked corn flavor to beer. I'm not experienced with it to know much but just wanted to let you know if by chance you get a corn like off flavor. Good luck and keep on brewin!

Awesome congratulations to you! Sounds like you had a fun brew day and learned a lot. Only thing I'll say is that the whole no-cover thing isn't only for the boil over risk, it's also because when you boil the wort certain things like DMS (dimethyl sulfide I think) needs to be evaporated out which is something I hear can add a cooked corn flavor to beer. I'm not experienced with it to know much but just wanted to let you know if by chance you get a corn like off flavor. Good luck and keep on brewin!

Never thought about that.......the lid was cracked slightly to let steam escape. I will have to wait and see on the flavor aspect. I didn't notice anything when I tried the wort sample from the hydrometer test but may be too,early.

Next time I'll be using a propane burner instead of the stove top......

Yeah it's just a possibility. And +1 to getting a propane set up, I got one and it really makes life easier. If you brew indoors just make sure you get good ventilation and a good burn. Check out homebrewfinds.com for deals on burners.

Yeah it's just a possibility. And +1 to getting a propane set up, I got one and it really makes life easier. If you brew indoors just make sure you get good ventilation and a good burn. Check out homebrewfinds.com for deals on burners.

As someone fairly new to using propane, (only used my turkey fryer twice) let me point out what I discovered Wednesday --- the red knob on the propane hose near the tank is your regulator. You can adjust the volume of gas going to the burner and thus adjust the output that way. I didn't discover that until I'd had a boilover on Wednesday. :)

Back