"starter" !?!?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This link provides great instruction. Do the steps remain the same for both ale and lager yeasts or would they be handled differently?

The same steps apply for all starters. The only thing I might do for a lager is to "step it up" again. That is, add some fresh wort after the starter ferments out and let it go again, so you get more yeast. Lagers require a bigger starter.

The main advantage of a strarter is to make sure your yeast is alive.

If you make a starter on Thurs for brewing on Sat you should see activity and you can pitch it after you brew a batch.

If you don't make a starter and brew anyway then pitch your yeast you could wait a few days to find out the yeast is not good. Now you've wasted several days...pretty good advantage if you ask me. ;)

Yooper Chick said:
The same steps apply for all starters. The only thing I might do for a lager is to "step it up" again. That is, add some fresh wort after the starter ferments out and let it go again, so you get more yeast. Lagers require a bigger starter.

Jamil says to bump lager pitch rates up 1.5-2 times that of ale starters http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html.

Also with ales, a 1.048 gravity beer for instance, so Jamil says, needs 2 liters of starter to properly ferment. Yes, 2 liters!:eek: That's like the same amount of a two liter bottle of Coke! That's a lot of starter. His equation IIRC, .75 million yeast cells per degree plato x milliliter of wort.

In my experience, you don't need that much yeast starter to make good beer. It would be worth a experiment to see the difference.

I've read some lager makesr will use a gallon size jug and 3 liters of starter.

and really, starters are for liquid yeasts. you generally don't need to make a starter when using dried yeast. simply rehydrate, possible proof it if the manufacturer suggests it, then pitch at the appropriate temperature.

I was really nervous about making a starter because I figured the gain might not outweigh the potential for contamination or other self-induced errors. Judging by the rapid progress of my current brew, I am feeling a lot better about the decision.

Also, in case you are scared off by the starter instuctions (everyone says to use a flask with a stopper and airlock), I followed the backup strategy of a 22oz bottle with loose plastic wrap and feel it probably didn't make a difference. What is going to edge out all my happy yeasties in such a small volume fresh from a vial?

D

Dpopkin said:
I was really nervous about making a starter because I figured the gain might not outweigh the potential for contamination or other self-induced errors. Judging by the rapid progress of my current brew, I am feeling a lot better about the decision.

Also, in case you are scared off by the starter instuctions (everyone says to use a flask with a stopper and airlock), I followed the backup strategy of a 22oz bottle with loose plastic wrap and feel it probably didn't make a difference. What is going to edge out all my happy yeasties in such a small volume fresh from a vial?
D
I did a 2l starter in a 3qt plastic juice bottle from Costco. The opening is the perfect size for the 5gal carboy stopper.
Just boil 1cup of DME in the 2l of water for a few minutes.
Let it cool (a water bath is really fast on this size pot).
Funnel it into the sanitized juice bottle.
Shake well with cap on to aerate.
Remove cap and add yeast then shake again to mix yeast.
Put stopper on the juice bottle and leave over night.
The next day after you have cooled the wort, pitch the 2l starter into your beer.
You should see results in just a few hours.
Craig

Starters are always a good idea for liquid yeast. For lagers, it's a definite must-do. Jamil's site is a great resource and those numbers are not overstated...the calculation is based on industry standards. 62 batches so far and if I'm doing lagers I consult that site first. :rockin:

CBBaron said:
I did a 2l starter in a 3qt plastic juice bottle from Costco. The opening is the perfect size for the 5gal carboy stopper.
Just boil 1cup of DME in the 2l of water for a few minutes.
Let it cool (a water bath is really fast on this size pot).
Funnel it into the sanitized juice bottle.
Shake well with cap on to aerate.
Remove cap and add yeast then shake again to mix yeast.
Put stopper on the juice bottle and leave over night.
The next day after you have cooled the wort, pitch the 2l starter into your beer.
You should see results in just a few hours.
Craig

Best & easiest to follow directions for creating a starter than I've ever seen! thanks, Craig!

Does the DME used for the starter affect the taste? I've seen many different "flavors" of DME, or does it matter

Back