New Homebrewer in North Texas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinbrockintexas

Reaction score
Howdy,
I am trying out homebrewing for the first time. Can I use a keg to hold the beer instead of bottles? How would that work? D I need the CO2 type keg?

THX,

Kevin

Most of us keg our beer. There are basically 2 types: ball lock and pin lock. The vast majority of kegs are ball lock. There are hundreds of tutorials on kegging, both video and text. Look up "How to keg beer" and you'll find a lot of information. I've been kegging for 15 years, and haven't used bottles since then. It's so much easier and much less time-consuming only way I touch bottles is when I buy some good stuff and I just want a 4 or 6 pack of it.

Hey, neighbor.

Pretty lame, not too funny, but long story: My wife and I travel up to Arkansas to see family from time to time. Last year on the way up we were discussing how large the metroplex is. When leaving Buc-ee's in Melissa, we wondered if we were technically still in the metroplex. I started and carried on for way too long about how there should be a definitive border - metroplex and urban. I stated my argument that the metroplex should end just north of Melissa. Anna should not be part of it. I went on to say that I will start a petition and get as many people I can to sign my "banana"... told you it was lame. It was a long set-up for a bad dad joke, but what else are you going to do on long car rides?

All that said, if you find yourself in need of some ball lock kegs and you find yourself in the Fort Worth area, I have a few that will let go at a bargain.

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome from Arlington. Yes, most use what is called a "cornie" keg which are old soda kegs which have gas in and liquid out posts. Kegging is a little more expensive because you need the keg, a CO2 tank, a fridge that it fits in as well as some sort of tap (simple "cobra tap" or a mounted metal tap). As well as the lines which I strongly encourage you to use EVA Barrier tubing. Cheap and keeps the oxygen out.

It is a difficult time to start homebrewing because a lot of the homebrew shops have closed in North Texas :( Chris at Brewhound in west Fort Worth is a good guy and there is a new store by the Tollway south of 121 in Dallas. That is about it for 7+ million people!

Ask a lot of questions here and you will get what you need.

Back