Starter Volume Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxkling

Reaction score
When you hear "1 Liter Of Starter", what exactly is the volume? Will this be 1 liter of 1040 wort and then pitch? Let yeast settle then decant and pitch?

I use a stir plate and 90% of the time a 1 liter starter is around 220billion cells and is sufficient for most stuff I brew around 1060 for ales. So I fill my 1 liter flask to around 750ml and ferment on the stir plate. So is this technically 250ml shy of a 1 liter starter?

"1L of starter" is referring to the volume of the starter wort. The volume of the yeast isn't counted.

Unless you have a hemocytometer and microscope those yeast growth figures are just estimates. They're pretty good estimates, so you should use them, but don't get too preoccupied with needing, say 230b cells instead of 220b cells.

try this site out for starter info. the vol. of a starter is the amount of ~1.04 wort you add the yeast to, what i do after that is let it completely ferment, cold crash and decant the bulk of the starter beer. generally the slurry i pitch is about 1/3 the size of the starter vol., but that depends a lot on how well the yeast strain packs during cold crash.

Back