Starter in and out of fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramloese

Reaction score
Made a starter, it was working for 48 hours. Looked really good.

Brew day got cancelled. Put it in the fridge for about two weeks. So far so good.

Brewed today. Took out my starter and decanted it. My wort cooling process failed, so I have to wait till it cools naturally which won't be for another day.

Now I put my yeast starter back in the fridge after it was out for about 4-5 hours.

Is it still good or is it shot?

It's a 50 gallon batch. I normally push it in to a walk in freezer but it failed me today.

My fear is that the yeast didn't have anything to eat at while it was "awake" and so it dwelled off. Or is that not even possible.

Everything kept super sanitary.

It's a 50 gallon batch. I normally push it in to a walk in freezer but it failed me today.

My fear is that the yeast didn't have anything to eat at while it was "awake" and so it dwelled off. Or is that not even possible.

Everything kept super sanitary.

Sorry about your chiller failing.

Your yeast will be fine.
Just make sure it is within 10°F from the wort you're pitching into. After decanting I rewarm the jug with slurry in lukewarm water, if it is still too cold.

Look up "shaken not stirred" starters. You may be able to adapt that to your process.
You could probably pitch less than half the yeast cells you calculated you'd need, into 8-10 quarts of your (separately) cooled wort from your main batch. Shake vigorously (or possibly just oxygenate) in a suitable vessel of the right size, and pitch the whole thing 12-24 hours later into the main batch. Oxygen or foaming is essential in that process.

Back